How to move entire IMAP mailbox to Gmail?

SlimShady

[H]ard|Gawd
my school uses the campus pipeline system for email, school services, etc. so we are able to access our email via online access or by setting up MS Outlook to access an IMAP/SMTP server.

i am leaving school for the time being, but i want to be able to save all of my email at my school account. so, i want to backup all of this mail into my gmail account. i do not believe i can use the web format to move all of my messages (and their forwarding services doesnt friggin work), so my guess is to use outlook. however, outlook will not let me forward more than one message at a time, and if i do, it sends one email with all of the other emails as attachments. is there a proper way to simply send/move my 451 emails from my IMAP account to my gmail account? i would prefer not to forward, as then every message would have FW: at the beginning, but c'est la vie if thats the only way to do it.

any suggestions?

Do you have access to the system? Like, shell access? It may be that you can copy the mbox file ( or, for you lucky souls, the Maildir ). Once you have the file(s), you can work on a way to upload it to gmail

no, no access like that whatsoever. remember, this a college-wide system ;) campus pipeline is a software package (ive noticed that northeastern uses it too, albeit, to a much more robust system) that groups access to email and college services such as registrar, fin aid, signing up for classes, paying tuition, etc etc.

Try exporting your mailbox it to a .PST file in Outlook and compress it as much as you can. It may be small enough to send it to your gMail account as an attachment.

You won't have a web-based interface for it, but if you have Outlook on whatever computer you're working from you can always import your .PST file if you need your archived email.

SlimShady said:
no, no access like that whatsoever. remember, this a college-wide system ;)
heh, at my college, we were given, are you ready for this?, telnet access.

We logged in, and we could jump to /var/spool/mail ( I think ), and find out mbox file.

It was made a bit more secured later, when they switched to the Maildir format. But not by much.

wow, you guys are everywhere... however, if i HAD some invites to give away, i would. ive yet to get a single one. go figure.

but anyways, i will probably save via .pst file, however, i was hoping to be able to send them to gmail so that i could browse them like regular email messages, instead of in one lump attachment.

XOR != OR said:
heh, at my college, we were given, are you ready for this?, telnet access.

We logged in, and we could jump to /var/spool/mail ( I think ), and find out mbox file.

It was made a bit more secured later, when they switched to the Maildir format. But not by much.
i kinda miss using pine to check email.... :(

Back