How to mount 120mm fan over ram?

Postal Dude

Limp Gawd
how would i go about mounting a 12cm fan over my ram, with a ddr booster installed. Iv gaffer taped it to the inside of my case quite precariously at the moment, but it the tape gets warm and falls off i got a high rpm fan destroyin my stuff. Any and all suggestions welcome. Btw i dont yet own a dremmel. otherwise there would be bits of case everywhere :D

will that reach?
My top 3 brackets are taken up. Top for WC pipe routing, next two for 6800GT + NV5.
Would have to have a long ass reach! any other ideas?
I got a universal water block mount thing with a few holes free near the ram. Could i use them some how?

If clean looks aren't "that" important, get some solid 12gz wire (like the kind found in romex wire) and hang the fan above the ram. This stuff is pretty rigid, as long as you don't try to hang 2lbs of crap from it.

Go to your local hardware store and buy a standoff (something like these). Make it at least an inch tall and match the male end to your motherboard screws. Replace one of your motherboard screws with it, and bolt the fan to it.

You could either make your own ram fan bracket like Zalman or Thermalright out of paper clips or use rubber bands to hold the fan over the ram using the ram clips. This guy made a really good one, so you could try that method stretched out to fit a 120mm fan of course :D

Postal Dude said:
will that reach?
My top 3 brackets are taken up. Top for WC pipe routing, next two for 6800GT + NV5.
Would have to have a long ass reach! any other ideas?
I got a universal water block mount thing with a few holes free near the ram. Could i use them some how?

The Zalman bracket can make a 120mm Fan reach any edge of a standard ATX board. You can use the top 3 brackets in conjunction with the Zalman fan bracket.

I have a NF3 ULtra-D, and previously I had a Asus A7N8X-E and in both instances, mounting the zalman in the top 3 slots and then using the 120mm fan, I was able to cool my Ram.

For $10, that's a good deal :)

dscf01812qw.jpg

ikellensbro said:
You could either make your own ram fan bracket like Zalman or Thermalright out of paper clips or use rubber bands to hold the fan over the ram using the ram clips. This guy made a really good one, so you could try that method stretched out to fit a 120mm fan of course :D

That rocks so [H]ard. :D

RawsonDR said:
Go to your local hardware store and buy a standoff (something like these). Make it at least an inch tall and match the male end to your motherboard screws. Replace one of your motherboard screws with it, and bolt the fan to it.

That's probably the best method I have seen structurally, other than the Zalman. I have done it both ways.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. But ya kno what. Im such a dumbass it really doesnt matter. I didnt kno i could mount the bracket, aswell as my gfx card and stuff at the same time. Zalman bracket it is. Thanks for the DIY suggestions tho. SOme pretty cool idea's in there

Back