How to manage (or not manage) Vista boot time?

Sovereign

2[H]4U
I hear that "Vista gets faster over time," but does this mean that Vista should be left to its own devices when it comes to boot files? Or does using PerfectDisk's boot file management help? Also, despite several Googles and searches of this forum, I have yet to find out: does BootVis help Vista at all?

Can't really answer your question...

But from what I have seen so far, Vista DOES get faster as time goes on. Initially I thought I had really screwed up, but I guess after all the files are created after the first few initial runs, it seems to do OK.

Bootvis is an XP-only standalone tool; it's not compatible with Vista's self-tuning mechanisms in any way, shape, or form.

The types of actions that Bootvis would do when manually executed were done by XP itself to some degree. Primarily XP would process idle tasks that needed handling (ones put on the "back burner" until enough idle time or the specified interval had passed) meaning the past 72 hours of prefetching would be then be compared along with the layout.ini file to see if reorganizing data where it was sitting on the platters would result in improved boot times (to a very slight degree) and more importantly application loading times.

That's part of the reason Microsoft ended up taking the stance about Bootvis with that disclaimer about it offering no tangible benefits to the end-user. Well, sorry Billy-boy, but when I get a laptop to go from a 42 second boot time to ~16 with a single Optimization pass from Bootvis, obviously there's a flaw in that statement. But anyway, it does work for XP as it should and still does as it always has.

Vista took Bootvis a step further with SuperFetch but it still keeps an eye on data when booting the computer as well as application loading. Over time, Vista will tune itself much better for both boot times and application loading - XP's self-tuning primarily focused on application load times, hence the huge difference(s) you can achieve with a run or two of Bootvis.

PerfectDisk when used with Vista will use the information in the layout.ini file to help restructure the way data is laid out on the platters of the hard drive but it won't take over all the duties as it can under XP. Vista reserves the final say in matters for itself, unlike XP which is more than willing to let a third party defragmenter take over the duties.

So when you do a run with PerfectDisk under Vista, it'll help, but it won't have as much effect on boot times and speeding that aspect of using Vista up as Vista itself will over time.

Hope this helps...

Bootvis is an XP-only standalone tool; it's not compatible with Vista's self-tuning mechanisms in any way, shape, or form.
That is what I have assumed, being not all the boot files are the same, but I didn't want to say anything about stuff I wasn't sure about :)

Vista reserves the final say in matters for itself, unlike XP which is more than willing to let a third party defragmenter take over the duties.
I guess I should remove Diskeeper off of here before Vista's install huh?
I was noticing scheduled Defragmenting in Vista now... primarily the reason I use Diskeeper.
Yea, I know you can write a batch file, but I have found them too unreliable.

Yes that is exactly what I was looking for. So I'm just going to let my laptop tune itself...would rebooting it often (say once a day) help with this "training" process?

Yes that is exactly what I was looking for. So I'm just going to let my laptop tune itself...would rebooting it often (say once a day) help with this "training" process?

oh god, we dont need to start rumors that you need to "break in" your os now.

since it keeps track of that programs and data you use most often while you use it, no restarts should be necessary.

if that is your usual working routine, then yes. From the little I know about the performance optimizations in Vista, it appears that they are mostly based on machine learning ideas. That means that over time the computer tries to preempt your choices. If you trick it into thinking that you reboot every day, it will optimize your system for this type of activity. however if most of your time is spent in windows, the optimizer ought to increase the application load performance rather than the boot performance.

FWIW PerfectDisk 8 is Vista aware and shouldn't do anything to harm or decrease your boot times, even with offline defragmenting.

I <3 PerfectDisk :)

My drive was one giant fragment yesterday, it took three passes and it showed a graph with 25% increases in the end...

Back