How to make your own recovery windows disk.....

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by tgg, Nov 15, 2008.

1. tgg

tgg [H]ard|Gawd

Does anyone know of programs that can make your own dvd recovery disks of your current windows installation? So for an example I install vista fresh and all drivers and maybe couple games and or programs then later on in the future I can restore it fresh again with the same configuration. Thanks...

2. Joe Average

Joe Average Ad Blocker - Banned

Mind you that while True Image and other imaging tools can image data directly to DVD media (meaning it'll burn the data directly to the discs), the discs these tools create are not bootable so you will still need to have the True Image recovery CD or whatever CD your imaging tool creates when you install the application software.

Years ago Drive Image actually made restore media that was bootable - it would put itself on the first disc of a recovery set so you could just insert it and boot the PC and start the restoration. But that was nearly a decade ago, and not one imaging tool since then has done that.

And I really for the life of me cannot figure out why as it's the single most requested feature of all: to be able to create home made recovery sets like the discs that come with some OEM machines where you just put in the disc (or first disc if there's more than one) and boot the PC and "restore" your machine back to "factory condition" meaning the state it was in when you created the recovery set.

Someday even Acronis will realize "Why didn't we do this 5 years ago?" because it is something that nearly every one of us that uses imaging software wants. I still can't understand why these idiots - even though they make the best imaging software out there, in my opinion - can't figure this shit out yet.

3. bigdogchris

bigdogchris [H]ard as it Gets

If you have Vista Business or Ultimate, you have a full system backup built right in. It drops a system image on spanned volumes or on a backup hard drive if you have one. Then to reimage your system with it, you have 2 choices. If your system is still up and running, you can just go to the system recovery and choose full system restore from image. If the system has failed, you just boot to your Vista disc, choose system recovery and point to the image. Bam, back at Vista at the point you created the image.

4. DeaconFrost

DeaconFrost [H]ardForum Junkie

Does that work from an external USB drive? Meaning, if I boot from the Vista disc and choose system recovery, will I have access to the external drive?

5. NoxTek

NoxTek The Geek Redneck

The command line version of Ghost used to make bootable CD restore discs... dunno if it does it anymore since I haven't used Ghost in like 6 years. :p

I wish I knew why Acronis TrueImage doesn't do this, it would make things soooo much easier. It's really puzzling since the software is so fully featured otherwise.

OP: If you have a Seagate or Maxtor hard drive you can download Seagate's own drive tools which is nothing but Acronis Trueimage with Seagate/Maxtor logos all over it.

6. Klob

Klob Gawd

With True Image you can create a secure zone on a hidden partition of the HDD for quick recovery so you need no boot media to restore it but I would still create an image backup to an external HDD or DVD too incase the HDD goes south.

I've had True Image since ver. 9.x but have never actually had to use it yet because I keep my PC's in good running order and because XP and Vista don't crash hard like Win9x would.

7. tgg

tgg [H]ard|Gawd

I was able to succeed in creating Automatic Restore CD/DVD(s) with Norton Ghost that made it possible to restore any computer back to the fresh install with drivers and updates to the point of creation. It works on Win95/98/ME/2000/2003 Server/XP, though I haven't figures out Vista yet because when I use them to make Vista restore sets they always fail. Follow these steps to create your own disks for automatic restores:

First you must create a ghost boot floppy from within Norton Ghost with preferably PC-Dos format after the disk is created you must now add some files to the floppy for it to work with properly the complete file list is going to be as follows:

autoexec.bat
    command.com
    config.sys
    ibmbio.com
    ibmdos.com
    mouse.com
    mouse.ini
    oakcdrom.sys
    mscdex.exe

Now that you have added the files missing from the floppy you are going to edit the config.sys file with notepad to be typed as follows:

device=oakcdrom.sys /d:mscd001
    lastdrive=z

This is basicly stating that it is going to load a cdrom driver into memory for the autoexec.bat file to use to enable cd/dvd rom support for ghost. The second line stats that it will search for an available drive letter until it finds one and it will go all the way to drive z if there are that many drives installed on the system (god help us all if there are more that 24 drives installed into a system).

Now your going to edit the autoexec.bat file with noepad also and make sure it has the following commands inserted into it:

@echo off
    LH a:\mscdex.exe /d:mscd001 /L:R
    set tz=gho+06:00
    mouse.com
    echo Laoding your automated system restore session............
    @cd ghost
    @ghost.exe -clone,mode=load,src=r:cdr00001.gho,dst=1: sure
    echo System restore has completed. Please remove any disc(s) from you drive(s) and press any key to restart your comuter.......
    restart.com

Now that you have made your automated formated disk you need to create a ghost boot floppy to boot into ghost with. Now insert your normal ghost boot floppy into the drive and make sure you have a blank cd or dvd maybe more depending on if you have more data than what can be put onto a cd or dvd so make sure you have enough first. Also make sure the drive that is to be the source for the auto restore is installed into the system for the process.

Now go ahead and start the computer to boot into ghost and when you start make sure to select the cd/dvd rom drive as the destination for saving the image to. Now ghost will come up and ask if you want to make the cd/dvd bootable or copy a bootable floppy to the cd/dvd select yes and insert the automated ghost floppy you made earlier into the floppy drive and select yes again in the window to start copying the floppy to the image.

Now that the ghost is complete you now have an automated or automatic system restore cd/dvd(s) set.

If someone knows how to get something to work for Vista I would greatly be thankful. Post it here in this thread.