How to make a remote work with Media center

lolivegarden

Weaksauce
Hi, I have a remote from a HP Mediasmart TV. Same as this one

hp_msc_x280n_06.jpg

Is there anyway to make it work with media center?

you need to get a MCE remote IR recievere.... but normally the only way to get one is to buy the remote...

umm, call HP and see if they will sell you the USB IR reciever....

Hi, I have a remote from a HP Mediasmart TV. Same as this one

http://www.winsupersite.com/images/showcase/hp_msc_x280n_06.jpg

Is there anyway to make it work with media center?[/QUOTE]

If you have the IR receiver it will work, I have one and it works great with VMC and 7MC. :)

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
wait, i just realized, if my tv and pc are using the same remote, won't they get confused? or how can I make it work with both.

wait, i just realized, if my tv and pc are using the same remote, won't they get confused? or how can I make it work with both.

It's been a while since I've dabbled in the world of remotes, but if I remember correctly, each signal has a device code associated with it. All of the devices that see the signal have a potential to respond, but only the ones matching that device code should respond.

For example - if you had two of the same DVD players and pushed power on the remote, they should both turn on. However, if you have a Pioneer DVD player and a Sony DVD player, they shouldn't respond to the same power button.

I'm not familiar with the remote you are using, but typically you can program a device code into the remote to make it work with certain devices (like your TV). That remote looks like it is a MCE remote, and it should "just work" with media center as long as you have a means to get the IR to the computer (the IR receiver).

Back