How to make a Dell Latitude C600 PIII 700 take a new HDD

Warriorprophet

[H]ard|Gawd
Does anyone know the steps to make a Dell Latitude C600 PIII 700 accept a new hard drive? The origional is fried from trying to hook it up to a normal IDE system to wipe it and I have a new hitachi that I want to install.

Any ideas/links would be greatly appreciated, I'm trying to fix it for a christmas present and my Google skills have yielded nothing.

Thanks~!

hennessy1 said:
I dont get what ur asking...take the new HD, plug in the IDE and power cable... :rolleyes:

Yeah, what this guy said.

However, if the HDD contains a CD that is supposed to help you through installation, I strongly suggest that you use it as a coaster.

I recently installed a Seagate drive on my old Dell P3 and the software caused me major issues (with XP Home). I wiped the drive clean of the offending software (by re-formatting) and it was a peice of cake. Can't say all the software (for every company) is so problematic, but Seagate wasted my time and got me really aggravated... :mad:

If you have never installed a HDD before, make sure you have the jumpers right, be careful about static discharge.... do a quick Google for the (other) basics.

All you have to do is swap the new hard drive into the caddy, slap it in the laptop and it should recognize it. If it doesn't recognize it, it's either a bad drive, a bad IDE controller/motherboard/socket in the laptop, or it's too large for the BIOS to recognize.

get the plastic assmebly out of the old HDD, there's a screw below it that holds that palstic assembly into the HDD. after you take it out put it into the n ew HDD and put it in. that's it.

Back