How to make a bootable disk from Vista ISO files?

belmicah

Gawd
Downloaded the beta 2 version. How do I make a bootable disk out of the ISO files. I tried Nero and told it to make a bootable DVD and it didn't work. It booted to Caldera.

The ISO is ALREADY a bootable image...you don't have to add anything else to it...just burn it and you're done.

Croak said:
The ISO is ALREADY a bootable image...you don't have to add anything else to it...just burn it and you're done.
QFT

I just burned teh ISO image with Nero without touching anything else and it was bootable. R u sure you did not edit teh ISO in any way?

belmicah said:
I have Nero. Would I just make a data dvd or what?
Right click on teh ISO file, click open with, then manually browse to NERO if it wasn't in teh programs list.

Once you open it with Nero (Nero burning ROM not Nero start smart), it will autmatically give you teh option to burn. just click burn and tada!

Pretty sure. All I did was add the files to burn to a bootable image. I think I should have just made a data dvd instead of trying to make it bootable right?

belmicah said:
Pretty sure. All I did was add the files to burn to a bootable image. I think I should have just made a data dvd instead of trying to make it bootable right?
you don't have to add any files man :rolleyes:

just right click the ISO file and open with NERO and you would be presented with the burn screen. That's it! :rolleyes:

Don't burn a data disc or anything. Just write the image file. It will be bootable.

Whew.... :eek:

Not that I mind helping out the new guy, but there sure seems to be a lot of this kind of stuff going around the forums these days! :rolleyes: You guys ought to sit down and take a good hard look at things before you post straight to the forums for help. It goes a *long* way towards being self-sufficient, and makes you look smarter too! :D

Ax

I think the bigger problem there is that (with all due respect) 'belmicah' is about to install a experimental operationg system when he is having trouble buring a DVD.

I dont use this forum much but I have seen far to many threads spread accross multiple forums with people asking relatively simple questions because they want to install Vista first.

They dont seem to understand it is a Beta and not in anyway designed for Joe Public, it will all end in tears. Tears and threads like 'installed vista and now all my files are gone...' and such.

True, however, we all started somewhere. There's no more expensive lesson, or valueble lesson to be learned, than experience. Just because most of us consider some of the questions beyond noobish, doesn't mean we have to take a high and mighty approach to it.

My first experience was in the DOS days. My HD was compressed so I saw a 40 meg file in H: and I deleted it thinking that I might have more space but instead, I lost all my stuff.
Second experience: I played with fdisk just to see how it is and instead I messed up my partitions.

You see where I'm getting at. We learn from our mistakes. But the person must backup his stuff if he doesn't want to lose something.

When I downloaded my copy it had some weird extention attached to the behind the iso. I think it was the download managers. Anywho, I removed it and left the .iso. Now when I go to bunr the image with Nero it says "the entered block size does not correspond to the image length. The block size might be wrong. Do you want to Correct the valueor ignore the problem?.

I loaded ISOBuster and it looks as though all the files are there. But no worky. Weird.

hmm, Ive burnt the .iso file to dvd.

This has given me the iso.drm file on the dvd. However when I select my cdrom drive as my 1st boot priority it does not boot off the cd - it spins up in booting but nothing happens apart from a normal boot.

Is there anything obvious I have done wrong?

young_one said:
I think the bigger problem there is that (with all due respect) 'belmicah' is about to install a experimental operationg system when he is having trouble buring a DVD.

I dont use this forum much but I have seen far to many threads spread accross multiple forums with people asking relatively simple questions because they want to install Vista first.

They dont seem to understand it is a Beta and not in anyway designed for Joe Public, it will all end in tears. Tears and threads like 'installed vista and now all my files are gone...' and such.
QFT!!!

TicTac, if you have...

Nero: Go to File, Open, Then in "Files of Type:", Select "Image Files (*.nrg, *.iso, *.cue)" Then, select the iso you downloaded, You will see "Burn Compilation" Window. I usually check "finalize CD" and select in Write Method: Disc-at-once. Click on Burn.

Nero Express: When you see the window, go to Disc Image or saved project, in "Files of Type:, Select "Image Files (*.nrg, *.iso, *.cue) Then, select the iso you downloaded.
Then just click on "Next. That's it!

This was addressed in a previous thread. You might want to search before you post.

Quake said:
TicTac, if you have...

Nero: Go to File, Open, Then in "Files of Type:, Select "Image Files (*.nrg, *.iso, *.cue)" Then, select the iso you downloaded, You will see "Burn Compilation" Window. I usually check "finalize CD" and select in Write Method: Disc-at-once. Click on Burn.

Nero Express: When you see the window, go to Disc Image or saved project, in "Files of Type:, Select "Image Files (*.nrg, *.iso, *.cue) Then, select the iso you downloaded.
thanks for teh detailed teh explanation!

I give up, Im obviously misunderstanding something.

I had already done the procedure Quake described, but decided to re-download the file and do it again.

The file burns successfully, but when I boot the disc spins up but I just boot into Windows normally.
:confused:

I better not bother as you're right, and Ill probably have problems aat every step of the way, although it seems simple to me, yet theres always something.

If I had a dollar for everytime this has been asked, I couldn't retire, but I could buy myself a new processor!

As others have said, all you need to do is search yourself, instead of creating threads that have already addressed the problem. The Vista BETA iso is in UDF format. You cannot simply burn it with Nero. You need something that can handle UDF images, such as Alcohol 120%. If you opened the iso file, or burned it through Nero, you'd see a simple text file explaining this.

I have to agree with some others above. If a person can't read a text file, or simply read through several of the same threads already, a beta OS is going to be very very challenging.

Ok, let's try this again :)

1. Insert Blank DVD. MAKE SURE IT IS BLANK!

2. Launch Nero Burning ROM.

3. Cancel the Project Window that comes up automatically if one does.

4. In Nero Burning ROM, select "Burn Image" from the "Recorder" menu.

5. Using the Standard Windows File Dialog that appears, navigate to and select the ISO you downloaded from Microsoft.

6. At the next window, hit the "BURN" button. Don't change anything else.

Here's where you are getting confused...

You are NOT writing a file (the downloaded ISO) to the DVD. What you are really doing is RE-CREATING the original CD using the Contents of the ISO file.

Think of it as Ghost for CD/DVD's.

-Larry

TicTac said:
hmm, Ive burnt the .iso file to dvd.

This has given me the iso.drm file on the dvd. However when I select my cdrom drive as my 1st boot priority it does not boot off the cd - it spins up in booting but nothing happens apart from a normal boot.

Is there anything obvious I have done wrong?

Hmmmm... I burned mine with Nero just fine.

-Larry

djnes said:
If I had a dollar for everytime this has been asked, I couldn't retire, but I could buy myself a new processor!

As others have said, all you need to do is search yourself, instead of creating threads that have already addressed the problem. The Vista BETA iso is in UDF format. You cannot simply burn it with Nero. You need something that can handle UDF images, such as Alcohol 120%. If you opened the iso file, or burned it through Nero, you'd see a simple text file explaining this.

I have to agree with some others above. If a person can't read a text file, or simply read through several of the same threads already, a beta OS is going to be very very challenging.

Here's the text from the readme:

This disc contains a "UDF" file system and requires an operating system
that supports the ISO-13346 "UDF" file system specification.

OMG, sorry to be mean but if you can't burn a f00kin' ISO image then you shouldn't even be using VISTA! Vista is a totally new OS and it requires an IQ level above 150 to be able to use it! everything's moved around! even the freakin' RUN dialog is not there where it used to be! so imagine teh rest.

sorry to be mean but i can't believe it's been 3 days and you can't burn a damn ISO with all teh help and detailed explanations that all of us gave you.

maybe it's my 1337 affecting u? :rolleyes:

Make sure your boot order is correct!
If it isn't then it won't matter what's in the drive.

addendum: A lot of you people should calm down. I used Nero for the first time the other day and had a great deal of difficulty finding how to burn an image to a disk. It just wasn't a straightforward process.

Quake said:
TicTac, if you have...

Nero: Go to File, Open, Then in "Files of Type:", Select "Image Files (*.nrg, *.iso, *.cue)" Then, select the iso you downloaded, You will see "Burn Compilation" Window. I usually check "finalize CD" and select in Write Method: Disc-at-once. Click on Burn.

Or, depending on the version fo Nero that you have, either under the FILE menu or the RECORDERS menu, you will have the option BURN IMAGE... Just select that and point it to your .ISO file, then click burn.

can't you just drag and drop the .iso file onto the nero icon? I don't mean the smart start one, I mean the one that is listed in your start menu. drag a copy of that to your desktop, and then just drop .iso files onto that. Works for most anything I've ever burned. It also helps to see if a particular file type is supported or not.

Thanks very much for the kind help Techlarry and others.

MaXimus666 said:
OMG, sorry to be mean but if you can't burn a f00kin' ISO image then you shouldn't even be using VISTA! Vista is a totally new OS and it requires an IQ level above 150 to be able to use it! everything's moved around! even the freakin' RUN dialog is not there where it used to be! so imagine teh rest.

sorry to be mean but i can't believe it's been 3 days and you can't burn a damn ISO with all teh help and detailed explanations that all of us gave you.

maybe it's my 1337 affecting u? :rolleyes:

Well I understand, but you're not forced to help with 'teh' problem. . .
:rolleyes:

instead of creating threads that have already addressed the problem.

I didnt create a new thread :confused: I couldnt really find any threads that said anything that fixed my problem either.

All I did was ask a small question after I followed small instruction list exactly which didnt work.

im sorry for the trouble I caused. :(

I probably wont try out Vista, however much I feel like I want to, although - dare I say it - I do feel I am more competent than I seem.

My problem was solved by re-downloading the file. I think your main problems Tic-Tac is that you have your boot order incorrect. Make sure your DVD-ROM is the first boot drive.

I hope you get it sorted

I revived this thread, as there are other problems with Vista. I bought the beta 2 disc from Microsoft, and guess what? even THAT won't boot from the disc,and install on a fresh harddrive, so don't be so quick to assume the NOOB must have done something wrong.It's not in the hardware either, as by throwing in a XP disc,the disc boots, and will install if you let it. I even tried to install XP ,and use the upgrade feature. That way, it gets all the way until the first time it needs to reboot ,and then it's back to a reboot loop.I've researched numerous forums, and found out others with the same mb, MSI 7207 are having the same problem.I'm thinking it doesn't like the onboard video.If anyone has a suggestion on how to get Vista successfully loaded , I'd appreciate it. BD51

BIGDADDY51 said:
I revived this thread, as there are other problems with Vista. I bought the beta 2 disc from Microsoft, and guess what? even THAT won't boot from the disc,and install on a fresh harddrive, so don't be so quick to assume the NOOB must have done something wrong.It's not in the hardware either, as by throwing in a XP disc,
The Vista DVD is a UDF format disc. It *is* probably a hardware or firmware issue with the DVD-ROM or DVD burner that you're using.

djnes said:

I am gonna call you out on that, dj...

I just downloaded Vista 5600 and burned it with Nero 7 Premium and it installed just fine.

pxc said:
The Vista DVD is a UDF format disc. It *is* probably a hardware or firmware issue with the DVD-ROM or DVD burner that you're using.
I've tried at least 4 or 5 different burners, including 2 new Lite-ons, still a no go.Nero 6 DOES support burning a udf/iso image, but no luck with either 5536 or 5600 Vista discs, I've burned. Running Vistas upgrade advisor, the only thing that gets picked out, is my Lexmark printer. I've tried the install without that attached. I have a new disc on the way, and I'm going to build a different pc, and try to install it on that.It acts like some kind of conflict,or that the boot files
are missing., but you can open the disc from my computer ,and run set up from there. All the files seem to be present.I'll check the specs on those Lite-on drives. Thanks BD51

djnes said:

Wrong, Nero burns the .iso perfectly. I used two different versions of 6 with no issues.

djnes said:
Here's the text from the readme:

This disc contains a "UDF" file system and requires an operating system
that supports the ISO-13346 "UDF" file system specification.

XP supports the UDF file system.

Back