How to keep TV output on when macbook shut

thenewrick

Limp Gawd
Hi, I've got a new macbook with snowleopard and im wanting to watching movies and stuff on my tv without having my macbook open. I couldnt find any option for this.

The easiest way ive found to do this is to close the cover so the computer sleeps with your tv already hooked up. Then wake it up using an external mouse or keyboard. This will make the TV your main display which will have the god bar and dock on it. if you dont have an external keyboard or mouse and your really really quick you can hit the space bar and close it really fast, but that method is hit or miss.

make sure your macbook is plugged in or else it won't run in clamshell mode (with the lid closed)

if you dont have a usb keyboard/mouse to wake the macbook after you've closed the lid (in which case i dont know how you'll be able to control the player i.e pause, play, etc.) you can just plug in a usb flash drive, iphone, anything usb should wake up the computer.

I think if you plug your tv in while the computer is closed it will wake up

Good idea, I never tried that. Also you should be aware that the macbook gets much warmer much faster running in clamshell mode. However if your only playing back sd content this shouldnt be a problem

you can open the lid afterwards if you're really worried about ventilation

+1 for Insomniax. Just make sure you get the version for the particular OS you are running... The older versions do not run on 10.6.x

Back