How to install Windows 7 upgrade on new hard drive?

MoreDents

Limp Gawd
I bought the Windows 7 Student Upgraded and upgraded my Windows XP Pro

But what if my hard drive were to die. I installed the Windows XP Pro about 5 years ago and have long lost the original CD. My hard drive is really old as well and I fear it might die soon.

When I buy a brand new hard drive, how can I install my Windows 7 Student Upgrade version on it when it requires either XP or Vista to be on the hard drive in the first place.

If it's not possible, then I think the "upgrade system" is really flawed because old hard drives do indeed die... :mad:

Thanks!

You boot to the 7 Upgrade disc like you would any other and install it, even if it's a bare drive. Don't put the key in though when you install it, choose No, then once your back at Windows Desktop, use the cmd line slmgr to input the key then activate.

back in the early days you could install with no key, then just upgrade the no key install. You installed windows twice but it worked.

You boot to the 7 Upgrade disc like you would any other and install it, even if it's a bare drive. Don't put the key in though when you install it, choose No, then once your back at Windows Desktop, use the cmd line slmgr to input the key then activate.

Woa, badass. Is this a hack or a legit action?

Woa, badass. Is this a hack or a legit action?
You can do it with the commands included in Windows. Hell, I was at someones house about a month ago that did a clean install with upgrade media and it accepted and activated the key right in the setup. YMMV though, so I pointed out the slmgr method.

back in the early days you could install with no key, then just upgrade the no key install. You installed windows twice but it worked.

I think there are two ways you could do this with upgrade media.

1) Find someone with a release candidate freebie, install it and then "upgrade" it with the legit upgrade copy.

2) Install your upgrade copy and don't put in the key, finish and go back and install the upgrade copy again, this time enter the key and install updates.

I would guess either would work and have for others, yes it takes two install, but you are GTG once that happens......total time should be less than an hour anyway.

I have installed 5 copies of W7, all were "upgrades", each installed flawlessly. All of my installs were on HDD that had some kind of Windows, but were completely re-formatted before I started the install.

I have seen where the upgrade has installed flawlesly the first times as well.

Back