How to install Rasbian OS to Micro SD card on Raspberry Pi 2

How do you install Raspbian to a Micro SD card on a Raspberry Pi 2 because I've tried writing the image to a USB flash drive using Win32DiskImager in Windows, but it doesn't work. This guide here:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=850

says to use a Linux system and use ext2 or ext3 or maybe 4, which I am formiliar with if using fdisk. However, I thought it ws just telling me that I need to do this just during the installation of Rasbian from the USB flash drive, so which is it? Can anyone help shed some light on as to how to actually do this?

Last edited:
Using NOOBS is the easiest way these days. Partition the SD card MBR style with one large FAT32 partition. Copy the NOOBS content to the partition, put card back in Pi2 and boot it.

NOOBS will redo the partitions during the install procedure as appropriate.

Using NOOBS is the easiest way these days. Partition the SD card MBR style with one large FAT32 partition. Copy the NOOBS content to the partition, put card back in Pi2 and boot it.

NOOBS will redo the partitions during the install procedure as appropriate.

Thanks, but it appears as though my screen for my raspberry pi is bad and it won't POST when using an HDMI compatible TV nearby either, although it did POST on my friends TV at his house. However, if the raspberry Pi2 is the problem then it must be both of them because it won't POST with either when using the screen and taking the card out and putting it into the other doesn't help either.

download raspian.img
figure out which sd is your sd card (say sdc for this)
dd if=raspian.img of=/dev/sdc (use sudo if not root)
wait
insert sd card into pi and boot

download raspian.img
figure out which sd is your sd card (say sdc for this)
dd if=raspian.img of=/dev/sdc (use sudo if not root)
wait
insert sd card into pi and boot

Are you suggesting I use the dd command, which is a Linux only command if I'm not mistaken. Therefore, I would have to use Linux to do so if I'm right and based on your suggestion to sudo if not root I must be. Then follow the remaining steps and I'm all set for what I needed to do, which will resolve my problem.

dd is a unix utility originally written by IBM, it's available on any unix like system, so yes you'll need some sort of unix system to use it. Correct on sudo as well.

dd is a unix utility originally written by IBM, it's available on any unix like system, so yes you'll need some sort of unix system to use it. Correct on sudo as well.

Well then all I need now is another spare Micro SD card again because I had to use my 32 GB for my phone, since my 128 GB cheap Piece of crap died. That's what I get though for thinking I can get a good deal on a 128 GB by not paying much though.

I recently tried installing Raspbian on my Pi2 and I had problems with my HDMI to VGA adapter. When I plugged in in to a TV, it worked fine.

Actually just recently I found out that you can install the dd command in Windows by trying the Haiku OS while trying to find out what BeOS is and what happened to it.

You can always boot linux with a live cd to do this sort of things. No need to install it permanently.

Back