how to install lineageOS/ twrp confused

multi-tasking_guy

Limp Gawd
I am trying to install LineageOS on an old mobile that i no longer use

It's a samsung note 2

But i am confused about the process

What exactly is the first step? I heard i am supposed to back up my current mobile?

Which program do i use to do that. Is the program called Offical TWRP APP that i will make a backup of my current phone?

help!

The basic gist of the process is as such (and it might or might not require unlocking the bootloader which is a given with most Samsung devices, even older ones, so that's something else you might have to do research into):

1) Install TWRP so you have the custom recovery (this does NOT require root, it can typically be done using Odin which is Samsung's tool for flashing firmware after you put the device in what's commonly referred to as "download mode" which means it's USB connected and waiting to access firmware from the computer running Odin

2) Once TWRP is installed you reboot into that recovery and then - highly recommended - back up the current firmware (stock I presume) on a microSD card (again, recommended), use compression (it's one of the options for the backup, just look for it and check the box)

3) After the backup is complete (it's not required since you can always flash the pure stock Samsung firmware again if necessary), then you'd used TWRP to flash the LineageOS firmware/ROM on the device which will overwrite the factory/stock firmware entirely (but it won't touch TWRP in the process)

4) Flash the Gapps (Google Apps) package which you can find at opengapps.org (this is where you get the Play Market, Gmail, Google Maps, etc) depending on which package you choose, the Pico package is basically the most minimal one to get you at least Play Market and Google Services access) - you'll need to make sure you pick the correct architecture for your device which would be ARM (since it's such an old device it's not 64-bit capable) and the correct version of Android per whatever LineageOS you choose (Lineage 14.x is Nougat, 15.x is Oreo)

5) You can then flash SuperSU with TWRP if needed (I say that because I'm not 100% sure the given firmware/ROM you choose will have it's own root app as part of the distribution, SuperSU by Chainfire is arguably the most popular root app out there by far) - if you don't actually require root in using the smartphone then don't bother flashing it, you can always flash it later if you do decide you need root access - some LineageOS builds on some devices have an internal root app you can enable in Developer options

6) Reboot the device with the new firmware/ROM and make sure everything is functional - most devs that make LineageOS builds will list what works and what doesn't as they continually update them with newer builds and bug fixes.

That's about the nutshell of it, the difficult part is getting all the stuff you need: Odin to do the flashing, the TWRP archive (yes there is an app for Android to flash it but that requires you root the device first which to me is a chore since you can just do all this stuff without root at all by using Odin and flash directly - flashing a device running Android by using an Android app could potentially cause issues if there's a problem during the process, you could end up with a bricked device. Using Odin is fairly foolproof and if there's a problem you can usually just pull the battery/disconnect the USB cable and start over, but not 100% of the time (damned close to it however), and of course SuperSU if needed, and the LineageOS build archive and finally the Gapps package of your choice.

All this info is over at XDA-Developers, and since you didn't say which Galaxy Note 2 you have (non-carrier or carrier versions) you'll have to pay attention to all the variables/devices/firmware/bootloaders/etc.

It's not a simple point and click once or twice to do everything but, the Galaxy Note 2 does still have support from the community so you should be able to get LineageOS on it with some effort and time into the process. While you can get some answers and info here or other forums, the #1 place for this kind of info is going to be XDA-Developers but it can be somewhat daunting over there as any given device could have multiple guides and it gets difficult for someone new to flashing devices to comprehend the whole process. Unfortunately, that's how it works and it requires effort on your part, there's no one-click solution, ever, for any device.

Good luck...

1) i installed TWRP on my phone, i didn't need to use ODIN, i just went to the Google Play Store and installed it

2018-02-10-09-05-12.png 2018-02-10-09-05-24.png

2) how do i get into recovery mode,

when i pressed, home+volumeup+power i get this screen:
20180210_090752.jpg

and
when i pressed, home+volumedown+power i get this screen:
20180210_090819.jpg 20180210_090826.jpg

Last edited:
well twrp was not working for my phone, so i ended up using rom manager

i went into the recovery mode in rom manager, but i am unable to install lineageos, i get this error:

this package is for device: t0lte, t0ltexx.GT-N7105, t0ltedv,GT-N7105T,t0lteatt,SGH-I317M; this device is t03g

20180210_122409.jpg

well twrp was not working for my phone, so i ended up using rom manager

i went into the recovery mode in rom manager, but i am unable to install lineageos, i get this error:

this package is for device: t0lte, t0ltexx.GT-N7105, t0ltedv,GT-N7105T,t0lteatt,SGH-I317M; this device is t03g

View attachment 53641
I think you would get more/better help by asking over in XDA.

Back