How to install fans in PC case

Lucky75

Limp Gawd
Hello guys,
I am planning to have 3 radiators in push/pull configuration...
560 at top with 8 - 140 Fans;
420 at front with 6 - 140 Fans;
280 at bottom with 4 -140 Fans.
So about front is clear ... fans will pull the air inside the case.
At bottom I am not sure ... to pull Air below case or to push hot down ?
Also I am checking a lot of articles about the top ... probably to push hot Air outside up is better option there.
What do yu think ... which one is best fan installation ?

Pull is enough, because you will have more fans that will push air in to the case and 8 that pull it outside.

It's depend, push/pull will transfer more air than just one of them through radiator+dust filters.
You said up 8 (4+4) and you have PSU that will pull air too.
This is highly dependent on the fin density of your radiators and the thickness as well. That seems like a lot of cooling (560 + 420 + 280), what are you trying to cool.

Typically since hot air rises it makes more sense to have bottom as intake and top as exhaust. This would mean to be somewhat balanced it'd make more sense for front to be an intake as well. That said, with as much airflow as you'll have it probably wont make to much difference. So, my vote is front + bottom intake with top exhaust. I don't think I'd bother with push/pull unless you had a really good reason, the difference most of the time is so small its not worth it. That said, you seem to be going for overkill ready, so, why not if you wanted to ;).

I am agree with you, but Lucky75 doesn't said what he will cool but he ask which way is better in his situation.
So yes, we talk for the same front and bottom intake and top exhaust.

From all above he will cool CPU+GPU probably with high clock or he just want more silence.

I am agree with you, but Lucky75 doesn't said what he will cool but he ask which way is better in his situation.

From all above he will cool CPU+GPU probably with high clock or he just want more silence.
Yeah, if he's looking for silence, having push + pull with that much radiator space is overkill. If he's going for crazy clocks at high voltages, then push/pull may help a slight amount depending on other things like fine desnity (FPI, fins per inch), radiator thickness, and fan types. It also depends on what components he's using... if you've got a 65w processor and a 100w GPU, he can probably just run fans on the front radiator and leave the others passive ;). If he's heavy overclocking pushing 250w+ on CPU and another 350w+ on a GPU and has a pump that can sustain good flow through this many radiators + blocks, then it would make more sense.

Last edited:
There's no valuable data to make decisions here.
10700k can pull 300watts
2080ti can saturate a thin 360 rad

I'm down to run fans at whatever minimal rpm to rad density so app I hear is pump noise

Besides throwing a full Gundam kit on a Corolla what else ya got?

One thing to keep in mind is that with multiple radiators in a case there is some built in inefficiency. There's really no way around the fact that in order to get air flow through the case, some of the radiators will need to be exhausting warmed air into the case which will then be used for cooling by the rads and their fans that are serving for exhaust. No one can tell you what the best arrangement is. It's one of those things that will require you to experiment with different push pull fan arrangements to get the most efficient setup that keeps both the CPU and the GPU within thermal specs under maximum expected load.

Yes, you right. I want to cool i9 7980 max OC - 500W and one or two 2080ti OCed - 350W each, so totally 1200 or 1400W pure heat at max OC.
That is the reason to prepare so much radiators and fans. I think to use two pumps at low speed and push-pulls fans in 300-450rpm.

Back