How to install downloaded programs on OSX?

mike_6289

Limp Gawd
My girlfriend bought a 13" Macbook Pro (2010 version: 2.4ghz C2D, 4gB, nvidia 320m). I've never installed anything on a Mac before, and she's never had one. I downloaded VLC, opened the disc image file, opened the VLC file, and installed it. After this the icon goes to the bar of programs across the bottom and is usable, but once the computer is rebooted it's gone! How can I get it to stay installed?

Sorry if this is a stupid question with a very obvious answer, but I'm stuck

You want to drag 90% of applications into the "Applications" folder. That will then install them.
Some are package files in which you will just double click and it will do it's think (Example: Virtual Box)

Some installers have the Applications folder built into the installer so it does it all, for you, withint he installer (Example: Google Chrome)

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask anything else. There is no such thing as a stupid question

Drag and drop (i.e. copy) the app from the mounted disc image into your Applications folder. :)

Dragging it to the applications folder doesn't install it. Dragging it anywhere onto the computer will install it. The applications folder is just a folder that Apple dedicated for storing applications.

You can also drag the application bundle into the Applications stack in the Dock, if I'm not mistaken. Handy when the DMG window doesn't present you with a link to Applications or when you don't have a Finder window open. That's one of those things that's good to know when using OS X: When you can't figure out how to do something, drag something into something else in the way you think it would make sense. Typically that'll do it, even if there are better ways to go about it.

<3 application bundles.

if you want to keep the icon in the dock, right click or CMD click and chose (options - keep in dock.)

As far as the greyed out icon, most downloaded apps will look this way until you launch it for the first time.

Last edited:
And don't forget: to delete, just drag the application icon to the trash.

...it took me a while to figure that one out on my first mac. simple.

And don't forget: to delete, just drag the application icon to the trash.

...it took me a while to figure that one out on my first mac. simple.

Pretty much, coming from windows you can't think about what is going on in the background. Most apps don't really "install."

to delete apps, simply find in where ever you dragged it to (applications folder) and move it to the trash or hit cmd+delete and it will go to trash.

There is no real uninstall for a mac... just delete the package!

simple and effective.

while i agree there usually isn't an un-install tool, keep in mind some applications will install additional information and files throughout the OS.

Take Microsoft Office, Adobe CS5 and others like Perian (Quicktime plugin / Preference pane) they all install data all over the places.
Usually these applications will be installed with a .mpkg extension and are easy to spot, so it's safe to say if it an app that has the applications folder appear when you open the .dmg, then it's likely drag and drop to trash. Otherwise if there is any *click through* installation, you'll want to look for the official removal tool.

lmfao. When I got my first Mac back in 06 I had the same problem.

I wouldn't know how to install programs coming from a PC so everything I downloaded I saved in a folder and I must have had 20 "electable" drives for every download on my desktop.

Good ol days.

I've been a lifelong PC guy and I just ordered a new 15" MacBook Pro last night. Threads like this are going to save my butt! Thanks.

Back