How to install Bitspower compression fittings?

I just received mine in the mail and don;t want to mess anything up. How far down do I need to push the tubing before tightening the compression?

Just until it touches the bottom. Then screw the fittings on for a snug fit. Don't over do it as you may regret it later if you find out you need to undo them for whatever reason (<- this happened to me, spent 3 hours trying to cut tubing up to unscrew it)

Just until it touches the bottom. Then screw the fittings on for a snug fit. Don't over do it as you may regret it later if you find out you need to undo them for whatever reason (<- this happened to me, spent 3 hours trying to cut tubing up to unscrew it)

So push the tubing to the Bottom of the fitting, then screw the compression all the way so that the two pieces are flush?

So push the tubing to the Bottom of the fitting, then screw the compression all the way so that the two pieces are flush?

NO! Push the tubing down to the shoulder and screw the nut on firm by your fingers. If you screw it all the way down you will probably never get it off again. Make sure you leak test for 24 hours. :)

I had the same problem. You just have to hold the two pieces tightly and wiggle them until they sort of loosen up and you should be fine.

Bitspower rotary fittings need to be "loosened" up first before they really rotate... Nothing 2 pairs of pliers won't do in 5 seconds.

After a few hours of leak testing, there appear to be two small leaks on the inlet and outlet of my Apogee GTZ. I progressively tightened the thread, followed by the compression fitting itself, but the leak continued. Any ideas?

For reference, I'm using 7/16" inside 5/8" outside Masterkleer.

What are your fittings? Are they tapered or are they BSSP? What tube size is your compression fittings designed for?

Well this is odd. I ran the system again for several hours an no leaks appeared. I don't believe anything was changed really, other than tightening the fittings. Since these are captured o-rings, there's no risk of over-tightening, right?

Use the o-rings from a pair of the swiftech barbs that were included with the GTZ instead of the BP o-rings. Swiftech o-rings are thicker than the BP fittings, so they'll close the gap better. This is a problem plauging anyone that got the GTZ that doesn't use stock barbs.

Use the o-rings from a pair of the swiftech barbs that were included with the GTZ instead of the BP o-rings. Swiftech o-rings are thicker than the BP fittings, so they'll close the gap better. This is a problem plauging anyone that got the GTZ that doesn't use stock barbs.

Cleared it right up. Thanks a lot. :)

I'm bumping this slightly older post because I've just run into the same problem.

I received my Bitspower G1/4 1/2" ID compression fittings.
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/biblsp1cofif.html

Using 1/2" ID tubing.

First I started tightening probably too much (or I thought), but I realized I connected the wrong to parts, so I needed to undo it. However I couldn't unscrew the sleeve, without the barb itself twisting too.

So after that I started tightening a little less by hand, so that it looked tight, but should still be undoable (which is the entire reason I got the compression fittings).

Well I began my leak test and after a few minutes I had two leaks right where the two pieces of the compression fitting come together.

*sigh* I ended up having to get a pair of pliers and tightening the pieces more. Now I know I'll never get these apart without having to cut up my hoses first (really bummed out about that, just bought semi-expensive tubing).

Is it normal for compression fittings to be this difficult? I never had in links with my old standard barbs and clamps.

Geez, still leaking and I can't even tightening anymore without fear of damaging something.

Hmmm... Don't get it. :confused:

It doesn't leak where the o-ring is (and the o-ring does seem to look fine). The leaking is happen where the tube fits over the barb end and leaks through where the sleeve and fitting screw together.

That means your tubing join is not water tight. Did you take extra care to make nice, clean, straight cuts to your tubing? Did you press the tubing all the way down on the fitting and hold it in place while tightening the sleeve? Are you sure you've got the proper size fittings to match your tubing size ID and OD?

I wonder about the wall thickness of your tubing, if it is very thin the compression nut may not have enough tubing wall to work with.

Where did you get your tubing ?

here are some pics of my Bitspower 1/2" x 3/4" Compression and tubing....

3484184252_8a0a2a9e30_b.jpg

3483366311_3eba906ab4_b.jpg

3483355641_047b222592_b.jpg

Back