How to improve your skill in CS?

• Thread starter Deleted member 68403
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 68403

In Counter-Strike (1.6) I seem to be stuck in online games at a slightly better than 1:1 kill/death ratio. I want to improve my skills and have been playing often, but I'm just not getting to where I want to be. So I thought maybe you guys could give me some pointers to see what I can do differently.

I use a Razer DeathAdder mouse at 1800 DPI
Mouse acceleration is disabled
In-game sensitivity is set to "2"
I enable Y-Axis inversion
I have dynamic crosshair turned off and use the small crosshair

During warmup, I aim my crosshair at a teammate's throat and try to keep my crosshair at that level during the entire match if possible. I think my big problem is that if my first few shots don't hit, I go into spray n' pray mode. Also, I find it hard to be accurate with any gun while moving, but obviously if you stop moving you're a dead man. How do you guys deal with these issues?

Tactics and timing are just as important as being able to aim well in CS. Knowing how to use nades is also important. A good flashbang will allow you to kill an opponent pretty easily.

If you are moving around and shooting, like if you are strafing right for instance, try hitting A to stop yourself quickly and it will allow you to have a more accurate shot.

Burst fire at the chest.

Fire a 4-5 round burst at the chest. First few will impact the chest, if hes already taken dmg hell go down. the lost of the burst will hit the head.

fire single shots with the ak, you can auto quite effectively with the m4. its all about positioning and using tactics

Aim for the head. If you do like fawkes said and aim for the chest and count on the recoil to hit them in the head you will always lose to players who can aim and hit the head with their first shot.

Go into your own game and enable cheats so you can grab all the weapons and mess around. Learn all the bullet spread patterns with the guns for like 3 shot burst, just shoot into a wall and see where the bullets go. Try spraying fulls clips, and try different length bursts so you know how to adjust your aim as you shoot. Try it while standing, crouching, running, etc. it's different for everything.

Know the maps like the back of your hand, i know i can pretty much navigate any cs map perfectly fine with my eyes closed, it helps a lot to know where you can go to get behind cover if you get flashed or something.

Use headphones and listen to footsteps, it's pretty much as good as a map hack.

When it gets to low numbers of players left in the match walk so you are silent so that nobody can tell where you are.

The only weapon I use in CS 1.6 and source is the pump-shotgun. This has helped me increase my skill significantly. Every shot counts, and you can't go into "spray and pray" mode. Office, assault, and Aztec are defiantly my favorite levels.

to be honest you just gotta teach your self. asking people isnt going to help. Just play play play.

Learn the guns and their recoil. AK/M4/AWP/Deagle/starter pistols. Nothing else. mp5 in some areas. There is a ton of into on how to improve but the best way is to... PlAY PLAY PLAY.

1.) Buy AWP/Deagle
2.) Kill
3.) ????
4.) Piss everyone off in the server
5.) "The AWP isnt a real gun"
6.) Probably get banned for being too good.
7.) Find a new server.
8.) There probably isnt profit involved.

Okay well with that aside, there are two main aspects you can work on in CS. One is map strategy, and the other is straight up gun fight situations. To help with the map strats, I suggest finding some pick up games where you will learn how to actually play the maps in decent ways with some better players rather than waste your time in pubs with idiots. To pick up on your gun skills, try just spending hours in a deathmatch server where you dont have to worry about money or map strats but just kills. You should be picking up on stuff, always keeping your crosshair level to head-height is a good start.

First shot on the guns are pretty darned accurate, don't shoot until his head is dead centered. He may nick you a little by blowing his load early, but your straighter shot will put him down first(or at least the follow-up hit). Most people just shoot and hope to hit, which is a waste of time and accuracycooldown, just keep your cool under fire hit him on the first try. Practice deagling. Not the silly click as-fast-as-possible spraying, but the one-shot one-kill style where you just wait and put out just one accurate bullet.

Aim/reflexes will peak and level out. From there it's mind games.

Stop and listen is the FPS equivalent of securing a room. It isolates surroundings as potential threat angles so you can focus on what's ahead of you. You move and pause constantly. It's also much better than camping since you are effectively camping around every corner of the map instead of new players who camp the same spot that everyone knows and expects.

Think about what the other team is doing and where they're going. Obviously if the A bombsite is clear, B is going to be hit soon. Obviously if the bomb is planted, you DON'T defuse, you find him first and kill him.

Enemies run at the same speed you do. So if he killed a teammate at bombsite A(watch the kill messages), he has a set run speed dictating how far he could've gotten from that bombsite. There are limited paths leading away, and some are more likely than others. Through this process of elimination, you can get a pretty accurate estimate of where that enemy is from across the map. It's middle school physics to learn that with a given vector(speed/direction) and time, you will know the location of the object. Pay attention to kill messages for a good estimate of the enemy's spread over the map.

If an enemy is shooting jump out as he's finishing the clip, he's unlikely to hurt you with the remaining spray(don't do it if he's bursting!).

Get the easiest shooting angles. Hugging a wall with a 90-degree corner means he will pass the corner perpendicular, at the highest relative speed to your cursor. Stand 45 degrees from it and from that perspective he's moving slightly towards you and not 100% speed away from your crosshair. It's easy to shoot them going forward/backward, but hard when right/left. That's how shifting your angle around a corner makes tracking them easier, while they were probably strafing to hit someone hugging the wall anyway(too many people think the wall is somehow going to hide them even though most just strafe corners anyway). Watch player-cameras, you'll notice their attention-patterns.

Most guns are not lethal in 1 headshot, but many will kill with a headshot and a follow-up, so 2-shot is the economical burst for a rifle for example.

Hit enemies from the back and sides by rushing and punching through their line, then as it passes, catch the rest of their line from the back while they're tied up in a firefight with your teammates. Again, they have the same runspeed so this kind of rush protects your back by not slowing enough for them to ever catch up to your back. Of course, after the lines are scattered over the map, return to the move and pause method.

You guys must seriously suck at CS if you think Burstshots are what gets kills. Simple fact is, burst shots is part of the AK/MP5/M4A1 killing strat, but what most people neglect to mention or actually do is, bursting at the head + slowly aiming downwards, gotta know how to control your burst shots. Practice bursting and aiming at the head, during your burst shots, slowly aim downwards to control your burst shot, you'll get the results you want.

You guys must seriously suck at CS if you think Burstshots are what gets kills. Simple fact is, burst shots is part of the AK/MP5/M4A1 killing strat, but what most people neglect to mention or actually do is, bursting at the head + slowly aiming downwards, gotta know how to control your burst shots. Practice bursting and aiming at the head, during your burst shots, slowly aim downwards to control your burst shot, you'll get the results you want.

So first you say that burst shots are not what net kills, then you try to explain how to use burst shots to kill. BTW, as you are "slowly" aiming downward, his teammate comes over to see what all the commotion's about and pops one in your head. Fact is, if you're playing against anyone with skills, if you don't kill them in the first 5 shots, you're pretty much dead.

So first you say that burst shots are not what net kills.
"Simple fact is, burst shots is part of the AK/MP5/M4A1 killing strat"
then you try to explain how to use burst shots to kill.
"Simple fact is, burst shots is part of the AK/MP5/M4A1 killing strat, but what most people neglect to mention or actually do is, bursting at the head + slowly aiming downwards"
as you are "slowly" aiming downward, his teammate comes over to see what all the commotion's about and pops one in your head. .
:confused: :confused: :confused:
Fact is, if you're playing against anyone with skills, if you don't kill them in the first 5 shots, you're pretty much dead. .
"Practice bursting and aiming at the head, during your burst shots, slowly aim downwards to control your burst shot, you'll get the results you want

Seeing how you seem to have a hard time focusing on my previous statement, I decided to bold out the most important parts of my previous statement.

Also, I used to play competitive CS in CAL, played with Meeps in CAL-M (sad isn't it? Competitive gaming, I laugh at those days), but i'm not flagging the experience wond at anyone, just pointing out what I learned from playing with most good players, at lans, this is what yielded best results. If you don't like my recommendations, then so be it, don't try it and just burst your crosshair into the air for all I care. (which, I do not).

Position and strategy. Try not to fight people head on until you get better at shooting. Observe the enemy when your dead and maybe you can learn something about their strategy. Follow and support your teamates. Don't be a hero, unless you truly can be.

hmm there was a question like this a while back on the official forums for cs:s

i will just copy and paste what i posted there =P

-try to get familiar with how tall the player models stand and keep your crosshair at head level
(this way you either get a headshot or miss and impossible to get body shots, in other words only use the mouse's x axis for aiming at head level)

-get familiar with when your aim will go out of sync during movement
(when moving in one direction press the opposite direction when read to shoot, this will stabilize your aim faster)

-move with the enemy
(if hes strafing right you should strafe right with him and when ready to shoot press the opposite direction to stabilize aim
, the better you get the less you will depend on strafing for aim)

-never duck [with the exception of cover for reloading]
(ducking reassures your enemy that you will not go anywhere anytime soon and cripples your aim as well, since it restricts movement)

-always keep your crosshair prepared
(aim at the edge of each wall at head level of the player models and be prepared to strafe in the direction they come out in [in some cases you wont have time to strafe])

-use low mouse sensitivity
(this gives your aim more precision)

-get familiar with where people camp/wait
(getting the first shot means everything when playing with skilled players since all it takes is 1-2 bullets in the head)

-get familiar with the map
(this way you can aim through the walls knowing where the enemy will most likely stand) aka "wallhax" for beginners

-don't panic
(panic usually ends up in spraying where you'll end up missing most of your shots)

-most of these tips are common knowledge for the average 1.6 player so try playing some old school counterstrike
(although the movement physics are slightly different same concept)

I'm not claiming to be a pro or anything, but these are some tips I've picked up while playing this game =|

hope this helps..​

75% is of 1.6 is positioning, moving, and teamwork. 25% is shooting. Patience is key. You want him to walk into your crosshair, peek as little as possible. For me, at least 80% of the time the dude who gets the first shot gets the kill.

Watching demos helps some, not others. Gotfrag is probibly the biggest public index of demos ever, but downloading directly from the teams site is usually faster. But get a couple demos, watch em, notice how for alot of the round sometimes they just sit, hoping the other team is retarded enough to push.

99% of CS 1.6 is knowing the game.

For instance: Deagle.

If you run diagonal the deagle shoots as if you were standing still. Your bullets will also typically hit slightly lower than center of crosshair.

Learn the guns. Learn the maps. Own pubs hard.

CS is just one of those games thats happened to build up a sort of necessity for this daft skill set, the game is now totaly elietist so playing even on pubs can be problematic unless you've had years and years of experience,

Basically it goes that the only real thing that counts is headshots, headshots, headshots, headshots headshot. You need to control your recoil so you're never spraying and praying short of point blank encounters, you should always take short controlled bursts or even single shots at peoples head.

But the game has evolved some really stupid game dynamics based upon the way its coded, for exampling walking forward and backwards gives you a massive recoil penalty, however strafing from side to side only (no forward/backward component) your recoil is not as great.

So you get this stupid strafe headshot thing going on where people abuse the fact that characters have acceleration on them, strafe so harder to hit but shoot the moment they release the strafe key giving them pinpoint accuracy but due to player deceleration they're still technically moving a bit.

It really is fucking stupid IMO, its all completely elitest and IMO you'd be better dropping that and picking up CoD4 or something similar but fresher and which doesn't suffer from these awfully arbitrary rules that emerge in the gameplay such as the CS strafe nonsense.

Ill tell you why CS is so popular, poor college students with shitty PC's that can't play anything made in the last 5 years.

hstrafing for aim)

-never duck [with the exception of cover for reloading]
(ducking reassures your enemy that you will not go anywhere anytime soon and cripples your aim as well, since it restricts movement)

hope this helps..

fake ass information

Play against/with the best

If that's not possible yet

Watch demos of the best players/teams.

That's how I got better overall, aim seemed to come with it. Consistency is a bigger problem for me, I almost never change my settings anymore.

1.) Buy auto shottie
2.) Run into a room screaming over the mic if all_talk is on
3.) Hold down the trigger

:) Not sure why but I do enjoy using it sometimes even though everyone calls it a noob cannon. Sometimes up close, I magically get headshots when holding down the trigger.

fake ass information

Ducking is a common mistake for new players. Once you realize that everyone ducking is an easier target for the strafing AK burst, you'll never do it again. I suppose the one time I would actually use the crouch is jumping out from around a corner immediately into a crouch to recover aim faster, but if I dont kill my target immediately I'm a sitting... duck. Hah, get it?

Frosteh

I assume you got your ass handed to you several times. :D

Wow, 1:1 in a 8-9-year-old game? And you think buying better hardware makes you better? Haha.

If you wanna be good just do what everyone else in CS does - use cheats! :D Nah, I'm kidding. Using your head is what makes you good.

Here's how you do well:

- Fire in bursts unless the enemy's about a foot in front of you
- Stop and crouch when shooting from far
- Aim for the chest/head. Heads are smaller and harder to hit but if you aim at the chest, recoil can make bullets hit the head.
- LISTEN. In CS the footsteps are unrealistically loud so you can easily hear people from a mile away if they're running towards you, so you'll know where they are.
- Walk instead of running if you're around enemies so they can't hear you
- Flash before charging a room with enemies
- Look away from flashbangs so they affect you less (CS realism) if you don't have time to go behind a wall
- Use your map to see where people died so you'll know where the enemy is, especially if you know the map and know where they can shoot from
- Play another game - CS sucks balls and has shit gun physics. (headshots with deagles from accross the map, missing most shots at point blank range when shooting 20-30 bullets, laggy hitboxes, sometimes you can get more than 10 hits on someone and do less than 100 damage, loud footsteps but you can't hear gunshots from far, etc.)

Back