How to improve cooling for my netbook?

TheGooch

n00b
I just started monitoring the CPU/GPU/other temperatures in my Asus 1015PN EEE PC netbook, and its temps are high compared to temperatures for the same netbook that people have posted on other forums , such as the eeepcuser forum(currently down).

The CPU is about 80C, GPU 82C and I am only running Firefox. Part of the problem is since I use an LCD TV for my monitor, the HDMI cables is connected and that activates the heat-generating ION2 graphics card.

These temp came from the CPUID application, and I also tried the Speedfan app to get an idea of fan speeds. However, Speedfan detects temperatures ok, but it doesn't see any of my fans for some reason, so I don't know how they are performing.

I plan on finding instructions on how to open up the netbook and re-apply heat-sink to the stock cooler. However, what I'd readlly like to do is upgrade the CPU cooling and any other fans in the netbook.

Beyond that, I'm going to go through my OS's (Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit) and turn down as many settings and services as I can find.

If you have any input as to where I can find a better cooling hardware for the netbook, and even recommend a cooling stand for it, I will be in your debt.

How long have you had the pc? Has the pc been near a smoker or cat? Does it run hot when on a flat surface?

you can get a notebook cooler, i'm sure they make some netbook size, biggest issue is that the netbook fans are pretty dinky in size.. i think my sisters old ass eee pc runs pretty hot as well cpu sits around 60C idle and the fan turns into a jet engine the second she opens anything.

just as a note, make sure you have the hardware acceleration disabled in FF options, should help the gpu temp as well.

You can try locate the fan outlet and blast it with compressed air. I had a notebook that is constantly shutting down. The CPU is reporting 80+C. I have to set the performance to low power to prevent it from shutting down. I downloaded the service manual and was planning to do a major surgery to take out the fan and clean it. That is when I decided to just give it some compressed air.

What a difference! I see small amount of dust coming out but the temp drop to ~60C and fan no longer kick up to high gear.

Be carefull, you can kill a MB by blasting compressed air because the fans when they spin at crazy RPMs can generate electricity back into the board! Its always a good idea to hold them still with your hand first.

If your heatsink on your CPU or GPU doesn't have much tension, you can buy a small thin square of copper to shim, lots for sale on ebay, don't even have to cut it.

I'm fairly certain you've listed all your options; re-apply thermal paste and get a laptop cooler with a fan.

I took my netbook apart last night, and it was as clean as a button. I took the fan out and blew air through the little metal vent thing that pulls air in on one side, and pushes it out of the netbook through the left side.

No dust came out. The fan is all on piece, meaning the mounting bracket, fan, wires, and connector motherboard are a single unit.

I looked all over for the processor , especially near the fan like under or around it, and didn't see anything. I found instructions for replacing the hard drive online, with pictures and a diagram of the motherboard, but no indication of where the CPU was.

Another site said the CPU was actually underneath the motherboard, but didn't offer any guidance on how to get the motherboard out so that I could access the CPU. I unscrewed all of the screws that I could find on top of the motherboard, but it wouldn't budge. I pulled on it a bit to see if it might snap out, but I did hear a snap but no movement of the motherboard.

At that point I decided if I pulled any harder I would definitely crack the motherboard, so I reassembled the netbook and was very relieved when it powered on and displayed the BIOS power up screen.

So, its still running hot when plugged into my LCD TV, like in the low 70C's. Right now its plugged into a VGA LCD monitor, which uses the integrated Intel graphics (GMA something chipset) and is running in the low 60C's

I might do some more searching later to try and find instructions on accessing the CPU, though I spent and hour or so yesterday with no luck.

Thanks for your suggestions and feedback.

Back