How to I upgrade to Service Pack 2?

xWhiteboy55

Limp Gawd
I just installed windows yesterday but its only SP1a. How do I get service pack 2?

Thanks,
-Matt

In practical terms:

Make certain your system is spyware / virus free. Most SP2 problems stem from starting with a dirty system.

Have backups of key data.

Install SP2.

Should something go bad, look into slipstreaming SP2 onto your XP install, as this has a negligible failure rate except for the occasional unsupported hardware.

is it so necessary to back everything up -- I just installed a game that took 19 hours to update.. I dont want to lose it -- and do it agen..

xWhiteboy55 said:
is it so necessary to back everything up -- I just installed a game that took 19 hours to update.. I dont want to lose it...
I didn't on either one of my machines and they run fine.

You can order the sp2 cd from microsoft, it's free. I ordered 1 and they sent me 3.

xWhiteboy55 said:
is it so necessary to back everything up -- I just installed a game that took 19 hours to update.. I dont want to lose it -- and do it agen..
Back up data, not programs. Reinstalling programs is trivial.

Of course, this should be the case any time you do an SP install or an OS upgrade or anything else significant. In fact, you should be doing it regularly regardless.

All that said, I didn't have an ounce of trouble installing SP2 on any machine I attempted.

Back