how to I re-enable APIC, OR enable APM?

gaeko

Weaksauce
I changed windows to be a Standard PC trying to fix a problem with my sound. Now my APM is disabled and when I press the power button the system cuts power instead of properly shutting down windows. I think I want APIC re-installed as opposed to Standard PC. I have it enabled in BIOS, but how do I actually change it in Windows?

IIRC, you'll need to re-install Windows if APIC wasn't originally enabled when the OS was being installed.

Lets decode some of a terms here....

ACPI = What you disabled by switching to Standard PC

APIC = Different thing, not entirely related to the above, but if your system did support it, you disabled it by switching.

ACPI is what you want re-enabled. (99.99999% of the time its not the problem anyways, yet people will still tell you to disable it!)

Look in the Power Options control panel. You may or may not see a APM tab. If you see a APM tab go to it and pick "Enable APM functions on this computer" Click Apply and and reboot. This does not always work though. Sometimes doing this will not get back soft-off or standby. Depends on the mobo.

You can also try switching back to "ACPI Uniprocessor PC" or "ACPI PC". the same way you switched it to Standard PC. But be warned, this is not always successful. You may very well end up having to re-install Windows after you switch this.

I do not have the API tab in Power Management...any idea why not?

Back