How to I convert a 12v computer fan to run by batteries?

nickia

Weaksauce
Hello everyone I have a computer fan which I want to convert it to make it run with 4 AA 1000 mAh batteries. The fan has a specification of DC 12V 0.21 A. It has three wires connect to the motor, a yellow, red, and black. Is there anyway I can covert this fan to run with 4 AA batteries?

Thanks alot guys!

You might wanna try the electronics section of the Modding forum.

1.5v's per battery, connect them end to end gives ya 6v's connect the black and yellow wire to each end and you should get it to spin. How long till the fan eats all the power? probably a minute.

You might have better luck with a car batter or a drill battey. (rc battery pack maybe?)

(volts = how fast spins, amps = how long lasts)

Just did it with a couple triple A's remember that current will only go into the fan one way so if nothing happens put the wires to the other ends. (black should be negative though)

Use four more batteries and you are in luck. As far as how long it will spin, by the numbers it will run for almost five hours, but in reality it will be a bit less than that. If you can only use four batteries then it is possibly to use electronics to step the 6V up to 12V, but that will cost you power and will certainly cost more than four more batteries will. Also, what type of batteries will you be using? I've been assuming you are going to alkaline. If you are going to use NiCd or NiMH then you'll need 10 batteries to get 12V. It might spin at 6V but it will probably be pretty slow. Also, your current draw should be more at a lower voltage so the fan won't run as long. I don't know if I would go as hardcore as a car battery, but a little 12V 5Ah gel cell would work quite well(depending on the situation, of course).

Heh, I once powered a 12v inverter that powered two fluorescent bulbs. Seemed to last a bit longer than a minute. =)
(Was bet that I couldnt power the thing with D batteries)

A 9v will give you more than a couple minutes of running time, and our fan should be able to start up at that voltage if it can't at 6v.

jpmkm is right, it will run for about a bit less than 5 hours. For 4 batteries, the voltage however, its not 6V if you are using nidcad or nimh, but rather 4.8V, so make sure your fan can at least start at that voltage.

Not sure why you want it to run on batteries, but you can always run an 80mm fan from a usb port :D Takes like 5 minutes and no batteries to buy.

Back