How to: GPU GTX 1070 card capacitor replacement

GPU_Noob

n00b
Try to learn how to a GPU capacitor.
Not sure is that the problem with this GPU.
Not detected by the computer.

Self Learning.
I need to replace a GTX 1070 capacitor ULR, 6.3 V, 560, FF or FE

What should I type in google search engine.
Or
Even better,
Where can I buy 1 of this GPU capacitor for EVGA GTX 1070 ?
Same 1 like the picture if possible.
Or
If not,
It will be compatible ?
gtx 1070.jpeg
gtx 1070.png

those numbers tell you everything you need to know, except the physical dimensions, which you'll have to measure yourself.

Why on earth are you replacing caps on that card? Caps don't die like they did in the 90's.

You still haven't answered the question of why you think the capacitor needs to be changed. Is it physically damaged, or does it test bad on a capacitor tester?

That's an aluminum polymer capacitor, they're very reliable unless insulted. I've replaced thousands and thousands of electrolytic capacitors in the last 25+ years, but I have yet to come across a bad polymer capacitor.

Without having measurements, I'd say that's either a 5mm or 6.3mm diameter by 5mm or 6mm tall aluminum polymer capacitor. It's a radial leaded capacitor, you'd be fine with subbing it with most any polymer capacitor rated for 105C and more and a decent ripple current rating. But it goes back to the question, why do you feel the need to change it?

You still haven't answered the question of why you think the capacitor needs to be changed. Is it physically damaged, or does it test bad on a capacitor tester?

That's an aluminum polymer capacitor, they're very reliable unless insulted. I've replaced thousands and thousands of electrolytic capacitors in the last 25+ years, but I have yet to come across a bad polymer capacitor.

Without having measurements, I'd say that's either a 5mm or 6.3mm diameter by 5mm or 6mm tall aluminum polymer capacitor. It's a radial leaded capacitor, you'd be fine with subbing it with most any polymer capacitor rated for 105C and more and a decent ripple current rating. But it goes back to the question, why do you feel the need to change it?
What he said.

You should be able to buy a replacement cap from mouser or digi key pretty easily, but I’d be shocked (heh) if that cap is the reason the card doesn’t work, since it doesn’t appear to be damaged.

What problem are we actually trying to solve?

Also, wrt “learning GPU repair,” I suspect you need to learn a bit more electronics repair first, and then learn to apply those principles to repairing this graphics card.

Sorry to respond late over and over.
Works.

What happen is my GTX 1070 was working but sometime it fails recently.
So,
I use the oven method.
After that my GPU can not be detected by computer.

So,
When I take a look a the capacitor bulged a bit after oven method.
So,
Again Try " Self Learning " using of multimeter, even though never used before.
I switched to resistance mode on the multimeter.
I grab another working gtx1070 different brand not EVGA.
Try measure the resistance of the capacitor by flipping the GPU back.
I found out that the good GPU 1 side has 0.00 measurement, the other 0.72 I guess. Don't remember well.
While I checking the other not working GPU after oven method.
Both side of the capacitor remain 0.00 or 0.12 or something, again don't remember well the exact resistance voltage.

That's why I wanted to give a shot on replace the capacitor.
By the way, this is not the only capacitor that has 0.00 resistance on both side, there's another.

Again why the dimension of the capacitor so important ?
Is because of the space limitation or something else ?

Also,

GiGaBiTe.​

Can you find one of this capacitor preferably the same one.
Provide a link with the same capacitor.
Preferably on aliexpress
Coz, I do have an account there.
I know you are not sure what dimension it is.
Will trust you.

Thanks for the time.

What he said.

You should be able to buy a replacement cap from mouser or digi key pretty easily, but I’d be shocked (heh) if that cap is the reason the card doesn’t work, since it doesn’t appear to be damaged.

What problem are we actually trying to solve?

Also, wrt “learning GPU repair,” I suspect you need to learn a bit more electronics repair first, and then learn to apply those principles to repairing this graphics card.

Hi RazorWind,
Sorry to give the same answer that I provided to GiGaBiTe

But that's what happened.
So,
I use the oven method.

So,
So,
I grab another working gtx1070 different brand not EVGA.
Try measure the resistance of the capacitor by flipping the GPU back.
I found out that the good GPU 1 side has 0.00 measurement, the other 0.72 I guess. Don't remember well.
While I checking the other not working GPU after oven method.
Both side of the capacitor remain 0.00 or 0.12 or something, again don't remember well the exact resistance voltage.

Regarding buying capacitor.
Still has the fear of buying the wrong and also I don't have measurement tape to measure the dimension of the capacitor.
Even though I do wouldn't know how to measure.

Is possible for you to provide me the link for the same capacitor that I posted in this forum.
Please

Thanks for your time too.

So,
I use the oven method.

You destroyed your video card. Full stop.

End of story, buy another card and never put a piece of electronics in your oven again, you have no idea what you're doing.

So,
So,

There is no such thing as an oven method, it was an ill conceived idea by people that had no idea what they were doing. It comes from the same people and train of thought where they think wrapping a towel around an Xbox 360 and forcing it to hideously overheat is a viable way of fixing electronics, it is not.

The reason the capacitor is bulging is because you fried it, along with basically everything else on the card. Replacing the capacitor now won't help you.

You cannot measure a capacitor with resistance mode on a multimeter, you also can't measure a capacitor while it's still in-circuit and get a valid reading. Some multimeters have a capacitance testing mode, but most of the cheap generic ones top out at 10-20 microfarad, which is far too low to measure the capacitor you destroyed.

Again why the dimension of the capacitor so important ?
Is because of the space limitation or something else ?

There are a multitude of different reasons why you need to use the same size capacitor. Fitment is a big one, but so are the characteristics of the capacitor. If you use a capacitor too small, the ESR, ESL, ripple current and other values will not be the same. If you use too large a capacitor, the same problem, but you also have fitment issues. The lead spacing varies as the capacitor body size changes, and the capacitor won't sit on the board properly.

Preferably on aliexpress
Coz, I do have an account there.
I know you are not sure what dimension it is.
Will trust you.

No, not going to help you because there is no helping your charcoal briquette. Buy another video card and take this as a hard and expensive lesson to not fry your electronics. We had another thread here not too long ago where someone thought it was a great idea to microwave their card. You're in the same boat, destroyed electronics.

Also, not all capacitors are equal, cheap shit capacitors from Ali Express are cheap for a reason, they're shit. Probably rejects taken out of the dumpster in the back alleys of Shenzhen or Huaqiangbei and re-sleeved with a no-name wofat label. When working on expensive electronics, you use quality components from a reputable supplier like Mouser or Digikey, not dumpster diver on Ali Express.

The original fault with your card before you destroyed it was probably a failing BGA joint under the GPU ASIC if it was intermittent. That would have been an easy fix if you sent it off to someone to get reballed, but that's not possible now.

GiGaBiTe,​

Please.
Help me to find the same capacitor that I posted in this forum.
Want to give a try.
Want to know the answer.
Mouser or Digikey either one will be ok.
Just provide me a link with that capacitor.

GiGaBiTe,​

Please.
Want to give a try.
Want to know the answer.
Do you even have the ability to replace it, if we tell you exactly which ones to buy?

GiGaBiTe,​

Please.
Want to give a try.
Want to know the answer.

Unless you have the required equipment to replace through hole components, there's no point to us telling you what it is. A blow torch and/or a 30W Walmart soldering iron are not the correct equipment.

You still haven't provided measurements of the capacitor as requested earlier in the thread. The diameter, height and lead spacing need to be known, or we can't link you to something that would fit.

Do you even have the ability to replace it, if we tell you exactly which ones to buy?
I guess so,
Because I took the picture of the old capacitor before I remove it.
I was lucky to be able to removed the old capacitor anyway.

Can you send a link with the same capacitor that I posted in this site.
Please.

Thanks RazorWind

Unless you have the required equipment to replace through hole components, there's no point to us telling you what it is. A blow torch and/or a 30W Walmart soldering iron are not the correct equipment.

You still haven't provided measurements of the capacitor as requested earlier in the thread. The diameter, height and lead spacing need to be known, or we can't link you to something that would fit.
I bought an rework heat gun.
Do have the solder gun too.
But don't have a measurement to measure the diameter of the capacitor.
How can I measure it then ?

So,
I set the multimeter to 20K resistance mode it give me 0.04 not sure how to say it. Sometime give 0.00, It depend how you position the pin of the multimeter.
Do you say 0.04 Kilo ?

Please set a link of this same capacitor

Back to the question of capacitor dimension.
capacitor too small or big , the ESR, ESL, ripple current and other values will not be the same.

Is that means big or small it will short other components of the GPU, because of the value current pass through others components either too less or too much ?

Please provide me a link of the same capacitor.

Thanks GiGaBiTe.

I bought an rework heat gun.
Do have the solder gun too.
But don't have a measurement to measure the diameter of the capacitor.
How can I measure it then ?

Use a metric ruler. Measure the diameter and height of the aluminum can, assuming it wasn't destroyed being removed.

So,
I set the multimeter to 20K resistance mode it give me 0.04 not sure how to say it. Sometime give 0.00, It depend how you position the pin of the multimeter.
Do you say 0.04 Kilo ?

No, I told you that you cannot use a generic multimeter to measure a capacitor. Those readings are nonsense, stop using resistance to measure a capacitor because the values don't mean anything.

You either need an LCR meter or a component tester like these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133926219908
https://www.ebay.com/itm/393676087098

Is that means big or small it will short other components of the GPU, because of the value current pass through others components either too less or too much ?

As I said earlier, you destroyed your card by frying it in the oven. This one capacitor isn't going to keep your card from working. Changing it is unlikely going to do anything. You've damaged the whole video card by hideously overheating it.

Please provide me a link of the same capacitor.

You still haven't provided dimensions for the old capacitor, those are REQUIRED to give you a replacement without guessing.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Use a metric ruler. Measure the diameter and height of the aluminum can, assuming it wasn't destroyed being removed.

No, I told you that you cannot use a generic multimeter to measure a capacitor. Those readings are nonsense, stop using resistance to measure a capacitor because the values don't mean anything.

You either need an LCR meter or a component tester like these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133926219908
https://www.ebay.com/itm/393676087098

As I said earlier, you destroyed your card by frying it in the oven. This one capacitor isn't going to keep your card from working. Changing it is unlikely going to do anything. You've damaged the whole video card by hideously overheating it.

You still haven't provided dimensions for the old capacitor, those are REQUIRED to give you a replacement without guessing.
Just provide me a link to buy the same capacitor
Please.
Want to give a try of fixing it, want to learn

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
GiGaBiTe,
Don't have a measurement tape.
Don't know what other ways of measure it
Give me an idea.

Finally got it measure.
But not sure which one is the right measurement.
Will upload a couples of picture of the measurement.
Please send me a link to buy the exact capacitor.
capacitor.jpg
capacitor1.jpg
capacitor6.jpg
capacitor2.jpg
capacitor3.jpg
capacitor4.jpg
capacitor8.jpg
capacitor7.jpg

That's an imperial ruler, not a metric ruler.

Regardless, can get close enough doing fractional conversion, it's probably a 10x16mm capacitor with a 5mm lead spacing.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...=sGAEpiMZZMvR1wrj203KOKNYKQR8GUMBT/kGDcPe75U=

This one has the same diameter and lead spacing, which is the important bit for fitment. The voltage rating is a bit higher and it's a tad shorter than the old one, but that doesn't matter, it will work as a replacement.

Still, it's a ton of money to throw away on a fried card. The capacitor is $2.20 a piece plus shipping and tax, you'll probably be close to the $15 mark.

Because I don't want in the future keep asking you or anyone else's the same question in this forum or other forums.
What did you type in google search engine or mouser.com to find the capacitor.
Also,
How did you know this capacitor will be compatible with the GPU ?
Will try to buy one to give a shot.
Even though not sure is the problem.
Try to Self learning.

Thanks GiGaBite

Because I don't want in the future keep asking you or anyone else's the same question in this forum or other forums.
What did you type in google search engine or mouser.com to find the capacitor.

Get the dimensions of the capacitor in millimeters, not inches or fractions. If you use inches, you're going to get huge capacitors that don't fit. The two dimensions commonly used to measure capacitors are diameter and height. Also get the farad rating and the voltage rating and plug them into the search filter on Mouser or Digikey, not that hard.

How did you know this capacitor will be compatible with the GPU ?

Been doing this for 25+ years. And for most purposes, a capacitor is a capacitor in a general purpose use. You don't have to use a polymer, a normal electrolytic would work and be cheaper, but it wouldn't last as long due to the heat.

That's not cheaper, it's more expensive by a cent. And you're not calculating shipping, tariffs and taxes. It will be the same or more expensive as Mouser. It's why when you order from them, you generally order a huge pile of parts to justify the shipping.

But when I click checkout is only $3.06 on Digikey?
I don't see where is said shipping fee though.
Not sure
How much it will be then.
By the way is Digikey from Canada or the U.S.A ?

Also,
Mouser.com filter has so many options to choose.
Don't know how to fill filter termination, Minimum Operating Temperature, Maximum Operating Temperature, ESR, Package / Case, Length, Qualification, Packaging.

Also, Why did you choose Panasonic and not other manufacturer ?

By the way is Digikey from Canada or the U.S.A ?

Canadian.

Mouser.com filter has so many options to choose.
Don't know how to fill filter termination, Minimum Operating Temperature, Maximum Operating Temperature, ESR, Package / Case, Length, Qualification, Packaging.

Besides maximum operating temperature, those fields aren't really important. For maximum operating temperature, you want to go as high as reasonably possible, which is usually 105C. I would not use an 85C capacitor anywhere on a video card for obvious reasons.

Also, Why did you choose Panasonic and not other manufacturer ?

Because Panasonic makes good capacitors, and they are only one of three types that were in stock in the size you need.

The problem is too expensive in Mouser.com $29.12 each.
Want to see how is the Digikey.ca
As don't tell you until you input all your personal information there, like credit card number and name and more.

So,
Is the link that I sent to you from Digikey.
Is that Capacitor compatible with my GPU gtx 1070 ?

https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/panasonic-electronic-components/10SEP560M/4204120

Want to make sure before buy it.
As I live in Canada.
Hopefully not as expensive as Mouser.com for the shipping fee.

Sorry to bother so much.
Thanks for the help GigaBite again.

That will work fine.

You're still going to end up paying double or more the cost of the capacitor in shipping in taxes though.

What happen is want to make sure the capacitor will work for the GPU.
Then I will fill up everything as a requirement on Digikey before I can see how much it will cost me.
If $29 each
I won't buy it.

But
Thanks for the help GigaBite

Hi Leon1992,

The board is not that cheap.
Amazon selling used: $438.68 evn though is not the same brand MSI
$389.99 is the one I have. EVGA.

Congratulations on the courage to deal with the boards and soldering like this.

I do feel like I have to.
Otherwise I can not learn.
Also the card is not longer working.
So,
Is a OK for me.

Thanks
Leon1992.

That will work fine.

You're still going to end up paying double or more the cost of the capacitor in shipping in taxes though.
Hi GigaBite,

You're right from the beginning regarding to the old capacitor on the GPU.
There's nothing wrong with it.
So,
I am be able to get a hand on a new working Capacitor.
I replaced it, the same result.
The GPU still doesn't work.
FAN spin, LED light on , but no video on the monitor.
GPU Not detected by the computer.

Thanks for the help.

Hi GigaBite,

You're right from the beginning regarding to the old capacitor on the GPU.
There's nothing wrong with it.
So,
I am be able to get a hand on a new working Capacitor.
I replaced it, the same result.
The GPU still doesn't work.
FAN spin, LED light on , but no video on the monitor.
GPU Not detected by the computer.

Thanks for the help.
Time to buy a new card, and as stated previously, do not use the oven trick. Most people who do it really don't know what they are doing and destroy their cards in the process. An expensive and tough lesson. Fortunately for you, card prices are coming down slightly and the cards themselves are a little more readily available.
Good luck.

You're right regarding to the price of GPU getting better.
But not for old GPU like GTX though I guess.
I checked some websites even broken.
People still selling for a couples of hundreds for the GTX 1080 Ti.
Anyway.
I can not buy a new GPU better and cheaper than GTX 1080 ti.
Because I do have an old dekstop.
That can only handle GTX 1080 TI as a best GPU for that motherboard.
No newer GPU are supported.

Anyway,
I'm interested in learning of how to fix GPU rather than buy a new working one.

You're right regarding to the price of GPU getting better.
But not for old GPU like GTX though I guess.
I checked some websites even broken.
People still selling for a couples of hundreds for the GTX 1080 Ti.
Anyway.
I can not buy a new GPU better and cheaper than GTX 1080 ti.
Because I do have an old dekstop.
That can only handle GTX 1080 TI as a best GPU for that motherboard.
No newer GPU are supported.

Anyway,
I'm interested in learning of how to fix GPU rather than buy a new working one.
Get a new 1080 Ti, those are still viable cards for today's content if you aren't needing to play at very high resolutions or on very high settings. If you want better, upgrade your MB as well, if your CPU and RAM would still be compatible with them.
Learning to fix a GPU is a worthy endeavor, but very technical and complex in most cases, and with your fried card there's no telling what single component could have gone bad. It's more likely that many components have been destroyed due to the heat. Instead of spending a fair amount of money on various parts (plus shipping and such) that are not likely to get your card back up and running, get a new card, cut your losses, learn your lessons, and move on and enjoy.

If I do upgrade my MB, The CPU and RAM has to be upgrade too.
As my MB still using DDR3 RAM.
I guess CPU upgrade is a most too.
All MB only can accept certain type of CPU.

Buying a new GPU is not my interest.
Learning is more important to me.
I know it does need to spend time and money on it.
Willing to take it.

But,
Thanks JonCZ for the suggestion.

Back