How to google search and where buy an Inductor for the external 2.5 hard drive encloser components

You are just guessing and not actually troubleshooting, this is why everyone is telling you to learn first. Do you know what a good inductor will measure? Or how to measure one? Or that measuring it in circuit wont affect anything? Or what inductance or saturation current rating that inductor is if you were to replace it?

A blown open inductor in what it looks like is part of a switching supply would not cause a short, it would just turn off. YOu had a massive short on that board from what looks like was at the connector and damaged several components from what can be seen in your photo.

The best thing for you to do since you are wanting to try to fix this is to buy a new one of the same one so you can start to see how it works so you can learn what to troubleshoot. I would also suggest investing in a benchtop power supply with current limiting, this will help you power devices and let you see if there is going to be an issue before you just go and plug it back in.

THis board almost caught on fire from that image. What you have to deal with is a two-fold process: What caused the short? What was damaged by the short?

Both of those must be answered and repaired before you power it up or you will still have a failure and possible a new failure.

Reactions: travm
like this
Trial and error would be okay-ish as a starting point, but not on a hard drive PCB, or any computer component. They aren't designed with humans understanding them in mind. Those are finely tuned optimized and very complex circuits.

I think you would enjoy learning on an Arduino Nano board (or similar), a solderless breadboard, bunch of wires, LEDs, stuff like that. There is a lot of programming involved, but you can download example code for all sorts of devices like walkie-talkies, LED dimmers, motor controllers...

Trial and error would be okay-ish as a starting point, but not on a hard drive PCB, or any computer component. They aren't designed with humans understanding them in mind. Those are finely tuned optimized and very complex circuits.

I think you would enjoy learning on an Arduino Nano board (or similar), a solderless breadboard, bunch of wires, LEDs, stuff like that. There is a lot of programming involved, but you can download example code for all sorts of devices like walkie-talkies, LED dimmers, motor controllers...

That is really good advice! So many resources out there to learn from!

Sounds good michalrz,
Like the idea.
Where can I buy all those components on the external hard drive encloser ?
and
What voltage and ohms and their name ?
As I can see not all components has description on the top.
Also
Is Digikey and Mouser legitimate website and are they the best place to buy electronic components ?

Thanks.

Is Digikey and Mouser legitimate website and are they the best place to buy electronic components ?

Thanks.
Yes they are both good to buy from. Arrow is another and sometimes has better prices. All 3 tend to be authorized distributers for the components they sell.

Sounds good michalrz,
Like the idea.
Where can I buy all those components on the external hard drive encloser ?
and
What voltage and ohms and their name ?
As I can see not all components has description on the top.
Also

Thanks.
You'd probably want to look for an Arduino learning kit. Lots of companies bundle and sell those, it depends on where you are located.
Totally random example I personally did not use (and thus don't know the specifics of) : Arduino starter kit
And again - I worded my previous reply wrong - don't expect to work with anything as advanced as a HDD enclosure.
Ohm's law (1 volt applied over a 1 ohm resistor will cause 1 ampere to flow over the resistor) is fundamental. It's elementary school science level. Without that, you will have no ability to make rough estimates about whether something will melt if you turn it on, let alone work.
We can't teach you this, it's a tutorial thing, guys before me already linked you to relevant info.
To give you an idea about complicated devices repair, see for example Louis Rossman's vids on YT. Notice how he can only do this stuff because he has the schematics. Link

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

Yeah, no. Completely false. You sound like Apple or some other draconian anti-consumer corporation spreading FUD. The companies yelling the loudest about this are generally the ones with the most trash hardware. Apple, John Deere, Tesla, etc.

Hard drive controllers are decades of hacks bolted on top of hacks and held together with hopes and dreams. Motherboards aren't much different, especially low end ones. They can be laid out by a single person in a week and be cranked out by the millions by low tech Chinese factories.

Finely tuned? HUE. That's what they want you to think. Dump an EEPROM from a hard drive and look at the code.

You sound like Apple or some other draconian anti-consumer corporation spreading FUD.
Hey, I'm okay with being called uninformed, but don't call me an Apple guy, please. I did watch that mobo vid I linked to and I realize what those companies do. Not cool. Dummy, yes, company shill - no. I'm pro being allowed and provided materials to repair any and all things and am okay with modifying things.

With the OP not being informed about what the difference is between an inductor and a capacitor, it would be better for him to look at example circuits for individual components and not a mobo with tiny traces running all over.

Op still is trying to replace components on his destroyed board. While not understanding ohms law, component ratings, and not knowing the difference between a capacitor and inductor.

Op still is trying to replace components on his destroyed board. While not understanding ohms law, component ratings, and not knowing the difference between a capacitor and inductor.
Maybe he is trolling us!

OP, if you are really into learning electronics and very serious about it, use this forum instead:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/

As an electronic engineer myself, that's the best website I can think of. The members there are very helpful and informative, but like we said before: you have to change your approach.

Back