How to go about completing an RMA?

johnnq

[H]ard|Gawd
ower supply and hard drive both need to go back. i sent my ram in using a "shipping" store (aka spend too much money to stick something in a box) because i wanted to get it out quickly. now, i've got some time. where do i get packaging materials and boxes for each? i can stick the power supply back in its original box, but the hard drive was oem and i don't have any anti-static bags. should i ship with ups or post office? there is a ups store in town...should i just do everything there? i was never a fan of ups, they always delivered my boxes with dents in them.

i've also got a few heatsinks i'd like to sell on the forum. are packaging materials expensive? can i just stick balls of newspapers in a box for the rmas, and buy peanuts for the sales?

i know i'm a newb. i'd like to do things right the first time!

I usually use all the old packaging from past orders. I always keep my anti-static bags, though. If you don't have any, you could pick some up from Fry's or CompUSA... or MicroCenter... basically, any electronic shop. As for packing materials, just hit up home depot or lowes.

alright what should i do about the box situation? do i just go into the post office and say "i need to ship this box to: x" and they just give me a receipt?

Print out a

TO:

in word notepad, paste on box

cheapest would be USPS Priority with delivery confirmation. About $5-6 a package 2-3 day

The MOST IMPORTANT thing to remember when shipping ANYTHING is to FILL THE BOX!

I can't tell you how many boxes I saw at UPS that were crushed, ripped, etc. because the box was not full and it gave when something was put on top of it, against it, fell on it, it fell etc. Whenever I ship something, I ALWAYS stuff it as full of newspaper as possible. 90% of the time, that's good enough for packing an item.

If the box is full, it will hold up better, which is VERY important when shipping UPS (TRUST ME, I worked there), also, if it's full, the product won't slide around. ALWAYS FILL THE BOX!

Back