How to get Windows 1903 May update now??

Installed it this morning & reverted back to 1809 10 minutes ago as it 1903 kept launching "Windows Push Notifications Service" on every reboot which ran the memory usage up to 95% constantly for that one service!!! Even after running the "fixes" that I found online, in Safe Mode & deleting the Notifications folder at the location stated in the fixes, it still did the same after a couple of restarts. It also stopped me updating Corsair iCue software as well along with causing CCleaner to stop running after a clean started. Rollback to 1809 & all is well again.

Now to try to stop it installing itself again via Windows Update.......

I had to Install Win 10 fresh sucks I see they changed everything under the sun if Nvidia's regular driver doesn't work which it doesn't hoping Geforce experience will work now.
Kinda a nightmare....

Update: Not impressed with Edge/Chrome

Last edited:
I had to Install Win 10 fresh sucks I see they changed everything under the sun if Nvidia's regular driver doesn't work which it doesn't hoping Geforce experience will work now.
Kinda a nightmare....

Update: Not impressed with Edge/Chrome
chrome and nvidia's drivers have nothing to do with MS...

How exactly do the clowns at Microsoft explain this?
lnZcPICvN3IoKpQxcNpNtGYTypWdzvVSSLE9QyfKUnESLA05azedou_1P0bThptZDU2WB90aZ9ErvbddFM=w1138-h485-no.png

Every single build they release is messed up beyond belief....every single dam time!!! lol At least their consistent...Guess ill wait it out till i feel the need for a clean install (like after a new 7nm cpu install)

View attachment 162670
Every single build they release is messed up beyond belief....every single dam time!!! lol At least their consistent...Guess ill wait it out till i feel the need for a clean install (like after a new 7nm cpu install)

It stopped before even attempting the install and failing because it knew there were issues...... That worked exactly as intended and you should be happy they have that check in place..... So no it's not messed up beyond belief.

[Q
It stopped before even attempting the install and failing because it knew there were issues...... That worked exactly as intended and you should be happy they have that check in place..... So no it's not messed up beyond belief.
thing is there is always issues these days.(there is nothing particularly special/odd on my end) Im sure it will clean install, no problem and ill get around to doing that when its convenient. it just seems odd i was able to build over build for over a year plus at one time, but these days forget it. well according to the info stated they have the issue fixed in the newer insider builds...so its fixed for the alpha/insider builds but the offical builds still have the issues? seems backwards to me

[Q

thing is there is always issues these days.(there is nothing particularly special/odd on my end) Im sure it will clean install, no problem and ill get around to doing that when its convenient. it just seems odd i was able to build over build for over a year plus at one time, but these days forget it. well according to the info stated they have the issue fixed in the newer insider builds...so its fixed for the alpha/insider builds but the offical builds still have the issues? seems backwards to me

If the insider builds are fixed first, seems fine. This is as long as the actual fix is rolled out as a cumulative update, anyways.

View attachment 162670

Had that same problem which is why I did a fresh install. But after I did that I had problems with Nvidia drivers resetting the colors with the first boot.
I found if I reset Win 10 at the login screen that I can get my colors back before I login or when Nvidia releases a new set of drivers to fix the issue. I read someone on 3DGURU had the same problem but he somehow fixed it. With the Nvidia drivers all the old versions don't install you have to install Geforce experience or disconect the internet in order to install the complete package. It's just a joke.....

I wish I had a older version of Windows 10 to go back to but that is a pain in the butt as well. I made two USB copies of 1903 so I'm stuck with them and they only work with a fresh install they don't even work with 1903 install LOL.

Thanks for the links... yeah, for some reason the updater sees my 4.4Ghz 4790k as a <1Ghz CPU and refuses to install.

Played with this one a bit more today:

Went to stock clocks everywhere, tried playing with Energy/Power Plans. Pretty sure the problem is Win10 just thinks my computer is 800Mhz no matter what. I have no idea how to fix that. Everything in BIOS is Auto/Stock. Everything except Windows is reporting proper clock speeds.

Capture.JPG

Went to stock clocks everywhere, tried playing with Energy/Power Plans. Pretty sure the problem is Win10 just thinks my computer is 800Mhz no matter what. I have no idea how to fix that. Everything in BIOS is Auto/Stock. Everything except Windows is reporting proper clock speeds.

View attachment 163100
Have you tried doing a clean install? I've done that myself to get around blocked upgrades for lack of drivers. I'm pretty sure it would work for you.

Last edited:
Have you tried doing a clean install? I've done that myself to get around blocked upgrades for lack of drivers. I'm pretty sure it would work for you.

I haven’t. That would be the next step but don’t know when I will get off my butt to do it

View attachment 163100
try disabling speedstep and turbo in the bios. there is a post on LTT forums saying that worked for them. ms say to turn off Hyper-V too.
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/660307-windows-10-detecting-wrong-cpu-frequency/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca...s-incorrect-cpu-speed-when-hyper-v-is-enabled

try disabling speedstep and turbo in the bios. there is a post on LTT forums saying that worked for them. ms say to turn off Hyper-V too.
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/660307-windows-10-detecting-wrong-cpu-frequency/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca...s-incorrect-cpu-speed-when-hyper-v-is-enabled

That, sir, was it spot on. Thank you. I spent the better part of an hour trying to look this up and kept coming up with people who's actual CPU speed was off.

Update on this computer has now passed the initial check, will see if it completes.

glad to help. which one or both worked? just incase someone else runs into it.

If you have problems with the Nvidia control panel disable Fast Boot in Windows somone on the Nvidia forums figured it out. No more washed out colors on a Cold Boot.

I have been disabling Fast Startup for years. Starting with the Windows 8 days I learned that with it on the OS is hibernated and doesn't fully restart upon power off/on, so certain issues can linger between boots. For as infrequently as I shut down I'd rather have a true restart when I do.

Last edited:
Some guy just corrected me on Nvidia forums saying "Fast Boot" and "Fast Startup" are two different things think I had them cross referenced. One is done with the BIOS and one is done with Windows power settings which I knew nothing about.

Some guy just corrected me on Nvidia forums saying "Fast Boot" and "Fast Startup" are two different things think I had them cross referenced. One is done with the BIOS and one is done with Windows power settings which I knew nothing about.
I thought Fast Boot was just a feature that required supporting hardware? I don't know if there is a way to turn it on or off.

*EDIT* For some systems, yes it can be disabled.

did a clean install on one of my backup hard drives...everything is fine except my Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 sound card no longer gets recognized (that guy that created the unofficial Windows 10 drivers might have to create some new ones)...so I had to switch to onboard audio...there's also a small bug when hiding the taskbar in Desktop Mode-- clicking the Start menu results in a small delay which is annoying...I like that they allowed even W10 Home users to pause updates for up to a month...

Something I've noticed with this update - it doesn't like you moving the default Windows shortcuts around or removing them. I have a specific folder start menu arrangement I like and Windows apparently doesn't. With every subsequent major 1903 update (there have been 3 since April), it won't apply any major updates. I either restore all of the default shortcut folders or run SFC /scannow, which does that as a byproduct. If I don't do that, it gives me an update error and ends up rebooting 3-4 times. Just when I think I'm in an endless loop it finally starts working again.

Something I've noticed with this update - it doesn't like you moving the default Windows shortcuts around or removing them. I have a specific folder start menu arrangement I like and Windows apparently doesn't. With every subsequent major 1903 update (there have been 3 since April), it won't apply any major updates. I either restore all of the default shortcut folders or run SFC /scannow, which does that as a byproduct. If I don't do that, it gives me an update error and ends up rebooting 3-4 times. Just when I think I'm in an endless loop it finally starts working again.

I assume you mean moving around the default folders, right? As opposed to creating your own folders, like Steam games or something, right?

I assume you mean moving around the default folders, right? As opposed to creating your own folders, like Steam games or something, right?

Yup. I shift ALL of the Windows program shortcuts into my user shortcut folders so I have them all in one place. 1903 doesn't like that. I'm guessing it thinks they're straight up gone. I've had other updates that didn't like that, but they're few and far between. So far every update to 1903 has errored out until I repair it.

does the new 'Pause Updates' feature only apply to major feature updates like 1903?...or does it apply to all updates, meaning the monthly Windows Update patches?...so if I pause the update for 7 days will it not download/install any of the updates?

I agree, it does feel faster than 1809 on all 3 of my computers. (Ryzen systems.)
The 1903 kernel process scheduler was updated with enhancements specifically tuned for Ryzen, so that may be why you are seeing faster/snappier speed/response. I kinda want to try 1903 and see if I notice a difference but don't feel like dealing with issues that 1903 might bring so I'm going to wait.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/bz6egc/windows_1903_fixed_the_scheduler_for_ryzen/

Some tech sites have mentioned that these performance improvements for Ryzen in 1903 are not [all] actually active and according to AMD will be in the upcoming chipset drivers for Zen2 (so next month?). Something along those lines.

Some tech sites have mentioned that these performance improvements for Ryzen in 1903 are not [all] actually active and according to AMD will be in the upcoming chipset drivers for Zen2 (so next month?). Something along those lines.

Yup, both are needed. We're not quite there yet, but hopefully it will be fully enabled for independent reviews of the Ryzen 3000-series.

did a clean install on one of my backup hard drives...everything is fine except my Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 sound card no longer gets recognized...so I had to switch to onboard audio...there's also a small bug when hiding the taskbar in Desktop Mode-- clicking the Start menu results in a small delay which is annoying...I like that they allowed even W10 Home users to pause updates for up to a month...

they fixed the taskbar bug with the latest build- 18362.267

Back