How to get to 32-bit mode in Yosemite?

UnknownSouljer

[H]F Junkie
Having a problem. I need Photoshop to run in 32-bit mode in order to access "Lighting Effects". Photoshop users will know what I'm talking about, it's unavailable and greyed out in 64 bit mode. But I don't see the option to select it. My understanding is that it should appear under General: "Run in 32-bit Mode" but it's clearly not there. Is there another check box or something somewhere else I need to check in order to gain access to them? Do I need to do a 32 bit kernel install or something?

Screen%2BShot%2B2015-03-12%2Bat%2B11.18.59%2BAM.png

Is there something I'm missing? Any help on this would be very useful, I'm under a bit of a time crunch.

ahhh sorry i see your on OSx, i'm a PC guy... sorry

This is Adobe's response. It's for CS5, but the information is still valid. It is kind of frustrating though that they haven't brought lighting effects to 64-bit when they've now had CS5, CS6, and multiple versions of CC to get it done.

Still, I don't see the 32-bit check mark and Apple's support documentation says it should be there. I don't know if Firevault interferes with it or not. I am running regular HFS+ (not case sensitive).

Last edited:
Mavericks (10.9.x) and Yosemite (10.10.x) are 64-bit only (no 32-bit kernel available). The OS(es) do not provide support for 32-bit functions as back in the 10.8.x or previous versions.

This hasn't been relevant since CS 5. The Lighting Effects were updated with native 64-bit support in CS 6. I don't use Creative Cloud, but unless there was a regression between CS 6 and CC, they should work fine in 64-bit mode. 32-bit mode was only required for these in CS 5 because the plugin was only built for 32 bit support. In CS6(+?) it should be there in Filter > Render > Lighting Effects.

Annoying. So I got support from someone on a Photoshop Facebook community. Basically I have to downsample and go to 8-bit mode in order to run lighting effects. Terrible loss of color in order to use them.

Adobe: upgrade your shizzle!

Back