How To Get The New U2 Album Out Of iTunes

It is a security matter in that it pertains to public expectations of a company's management of its digital accounts. With all of the security issues that have come up with the cloud over the last year with government spying, card breaches, Apple's recent photo issue, well, perception is reality.

you're understanding of the word 'security' needs more work.

you're understanding of the word 'security' needs more work.

I clearly stated that this wasn't directly a security matter. But think of the inundation of digital security and privacy stories that even the most non-technical people have see since last summer with the NSA spying revelations. Everything from spying to credit card breaches to cloud data breaches to ransomware, etc. There's a lot of paranoia out there.
Then if you were to take mope54's analysis of users just not understanding how this worked, it's easy to see after the fact by looking over thousands of tweets that there were concerns of security and privacy, even if they were misplaced.

Again, no matter who its sliced, what happened here just wasn't expected and I honestly admitted that I wouldn't have seen it either. There is a lesson to be learned here, and its simply that we've come to a point where digital accounts are sacred personal property, just as real and physical to many people as their homes and cars. Altering them, even in a benign way like this, seems to come across to a lot of folks as an invasion of personal space. Sure it got overblow. But that's the kind of thing that happens when you miss how some people are going to react. Blow back over a free album from a classic band like U2, it just got missed by Apple. And it could have happened to anyone.

I didn't any concerns about safety, security, or privacy

a bunch of kids who think that jay-z and beyonce are musical geniuses--which is exactly why when samsung pulled the same stunt with beyonce's newest album (although there actually *were* security issues with the trojan they remotely installed on everyone's devices) no one uttered a peep.

why this particular tech site didn't pick up on that story and actually investigate it is because this is apple and that was samsung. and apple is in the news right now for various reasons.

all of those tweets that I read from your link were about people wondering who U2 was and why it was taking room on their devices. nothing to do with privacy and if anyone honestly thinks that their digital accounts are sacred, personal spaces like a car or a home they have another think coming. that's never been true.

Apple is the #1 consumer tech company on the planet so they draw more attention than anyone else in the mainstream. Sometimes it takes the form of underserved praise and sometimes undue criticism.

Overall I agree with what you're saying here. In this environment of hypersensitivity related to matters of digital security and in particular cloud services, while something like this many not technically be an issue of security of privacy, to think that it doesn't come across that way to many is probably how something like this would overlooked. Increasingly technology is becoming part of cultural psyche. The actual hardware and software and technical specs sometimes aren't nearly as important as the perceptions and emotions.

Generally Apple is extremely good at that part of it, the human factor or technology, probably the best in the business when it comes to consumer technology. But they do trip up on security sometimes especially around the perceptions. Everyone does, I just tend to think Apple doesn't perhaps take it quite as seriously as maybe they should.

U2 is terrible but this was a cool stunt.

I don't think they are a bad band but I kind of wonder if they aren't too old for the Apple generation which may have been a part of the blow back here. I'm an old fart, so the idea that people don't know who U2 is strange. But there's tons of old bands that I can remember that aren't known today I guess.

This thread his hilarious.

heatlesssun and mope54, two of the biggest thread crappers on this forum getting a taste of their own medicine...from each other. Both being purposely obtuse and claiming the other one is just not getting it. :p

Fair enough, but leave it to apple to pay 100 million to a band to give away shitty music. U2 is no longer relevant.

If you're a huge band, your relevance always takes a nosedive between 40-50. Besides, bands in their prime don't typically do things like this. They're either not big enough or they're not interested.

But are they irrelevant? I just don't know. I listened to it once through, and it didn't strike me as great, but it wasn't awful. IOW, pretty much the same as every 21st century U2 album. The biggest problem for a band of 50 somethings is getting their music heard. Once you have a catalog, everybody wants what you did in the past. Classic Rock is all about oldies and modern rock isn't interested in new music for old bands. It's similar to what they did a decade ago, except they let Apple use Vertigo in an ad for free.

Ultimately it won't matter. They'll sellout whatever size venue they play.

I think the problem is automatically having an album you do not want in your library. Music library is often treated as a collection of music we want to hear. So when you have an album you do not want being added into your library without your consent, and with no way of removing it, of course many people would be pissed about it.

The best approach would have been to make it optional. Just like free games on Steam or Origin. They are not automatically added to everyone's account because not everyone wants them.

If Apple or any music services starts adding free songs into our account automatically, eventually our library will be clogged with unwanted stuff.

Unless you're person who never experiments and only buys singles they've heard a million times, you've got music in your library you don't like.

I've got CD's that 30 years old that I haven't listened to more than once in the last 10 years (and then only because I forced myself to listen to every single album over the course of several months). This is just a bunch of world bitching about nothing.

If some company wants to put every album every released in the cloud for me to d/l or stream at will, then I'll happily accept it. I won't be able to listen to it all (cause I won't live long enough to listen to every song even once), but I wouldn't complain.

I'm not a big fan of post-2001 U2; (d-bags didn't even play New Years Day the last time they were in town) but calling it a success purely because it was forced out to 33 million iTunes users who may or may not have played it is a specious argument. They won't know if it's a success until it gets pushed to retail channels.

A Dark Knight quote keeps floating in my head:
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

You had to download it or press play. The album didn't spontaneously download.

I don't think they are a bad band but I kind of wonder if they aren't too old for the Apple generation which may have been a part of the blow back here. I'm an old fart, so the idea that people don't know who U2 is strange. But there's tons of old bands that I can remember that aren't known today I guess.

I know them fairly well, I'm not as old as some but I gave them a chance and I dislike bono too.

/rant

Eh, I was born in the 90's and I've heard of them. Not that I listen to them, but I do know of them and Bono. My 7th grade teacher actually did a presentation on him as an example for a research paper presentation.

wait...these are the guys that sued Negativland for using samples (ahem, fair use, parody) because they were so IP uptight

and now they can't GIVE it away?

oh the sweet sweet irony

Based on what I can find on this, it was the label that sued, not the band, but I'm not sure there's much irony. If you push 33 million copies (even if it's just 33 million people listening to it once), the band was successful.

Then why are there countless tweets about this showing up in people's playlists and downloading? Clearly someone at Apple thought there was an issue with this otherwise why would they have provided the removal link?

I'm not the one making a big deal out this. There were a lot of complaints about what happened here and Apple responded. That's typically what companies that have high customer satisfaction ratings like Apple do.

Cause it's the internet. What do people do on the internet? Bitch and argue.

Cause it's the internet. What do people do on the internet? Bitch and argue.

Of course. But you can often get an overall general sentiment about something from social media. For instance, #windows8 will reveal as much vitriol about the OS you'll ever find here. #u2 #itunes was quite surprising to me, I would have never expected the blowback. There's even a #u2virus hashtag out there now that cropped up 7 days ago of course.

Never really got into Twitter until about 2 years ago and I know that there's a lot of resistance to social media around here but the more I've used it the more impressed I'm with its simple genius.

Of course. But you can often get an overall general sentiment about something from social media. For instance, #windows8 will reveal as much vitriol about the OS you'll ever find here. #u2 #itunes was quite surprising to me, I would have never expected the blowback. There's even a #u2virus hashtag out there now that cropped up 7 days ago of course.

Never really got into Twitter until about 2 years ago and I know that there's a lot of resistance to social media around here but the more I've used it the more impressed I'm with its simple genius.

I'm not against it, I'm just saying, people like to bitch. And unless there are a lot of diehard U2 fans on Twitter, you're going to have more people bitching than supporting it. And when you have Pitchfork writing an article of shit (and whether you like U2 or not, it was pure unadulterated shit), you'll get lots of extra bitching.

I gotta say i didn't think 30 million people would d/l /stream it. Prior to this, they'd sold 150 million albums (or so wikipedia says). Sure it's free, but I'm still surprised. If they managed to get a decent number of sub-40 listeners, it was a major victory (even if they only listen once). Now what Apple gets, I'm not sure.

This thread his hilarious.

heatlesssun and mope54, two of the biggest thread crappers on this forum getting a taste of their own medicine...from each other. Both being purposely obtuse and claiming the other one is just not getting it. :p
how is pointing out that these songs didn't automatically download to anyone's device in a thread filled with people complaining about Apple automatically downloading songs to people's devices "thread crapping?" :rolleyes:

so happy I went with my LG G3 this time around. Loving android at the moment

Whenever I see mention of U2 I think:

"YEA YEA YEA YEA YEA YEA *!!!BOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!* (falling bit of Bono guts amongst the silence)

UE8YDDt_zpsa9aab8be.jpg

Back