How to get multiple OS's for learning purposes?

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
What do you guys do to use if you want to setup several windows hosts in ESXi or Hyper-V to learn server 2008? I was thinking about just not activating and doing a reinstall every 30 days?

Most MS software can be downloaded for trial purposes, and can be used for several months in some cases. And there are MS supported methods for extending the trial use in the case of Windows 2008 and 7.

Both Windows 7 and 2k8 R2 have 180 day trials. Or there is always a technet subscription. I have an MSDN through work so that's how I roll.

MSDN is really where it's at..but the 180 day trials are great as well.

MSDN / Technet. They also have a program for devs that'll get you cheap or greatly reduced cost MSDN but I can't remember what it's called right now...

I'll third the Technet choice. The diff between Standard and Pro is more choices, but also more licenses (they were semi-quiet about this).

It used to be 10 install / client licenses per sub.

Its now : 2 for Standard, 5 for Professional.

Keep that in mind if that is an issue you think you could run up against.

Both Windows 7 and 2k8 R2 have 180 day trials. Or there is always a technet subscription. I have an MSDN through work so that's how I roll.

Only Windows 7 Enterprise has a trial version - no other version of Windows 7 does, and altering the ei.cfg on the Enterprise trial will not "convert" it into a trial version for any other edition.

Just wanted to point that out...

Only Windows 7 Enterprise has a trial version - no other version of Windows 7 does, and altering the ei.cfg on the Enterprise trial will not "convert" it into a trial version for any other edition.

Just wanted to point that out...

Windows 7 enterprise has everything right? so that is all you would need

Back