PREFACE: Notes about the HR10-250 and new HR-20

DTV is now offering the HR-20 which is supporting the new standard mp4,
which
also sends local stations in HD. No more need for the off air
antenna.

Lately due to low supplies wait lists are possible for delivery. But
experience
shows they get these in very quickly.
I was wait listed in early Nov yet got my DVR in 7 days.

INSTRUCTIONS!

As a DirectTV customer, call customer retention. 1-800-531-5000 is the
current
number but they keep changing it.
If you do not get directly to retention, when the operator answers, ask
to
be TRANSFERRED to customer retention.
ONLY speak to retention department for this deal, they are the ones
that
offer the good deals.
Make ABSOULTELY SURE you are SPEAKING to the retention department
before
you proceed.

Customer retention is a special department dedicated to retaining DTV
customers that are looking to leave DTV for other providers. DirecTV
values each subscription, over the lifetime of service, at $3000.

STEP 1:

Call the number 1-800-531-5000 or 1-800-824-9081 NOTE: There is
NO
pin
number.

Step 2:

The current deal is $199 or $99 for the unit. BUT the price will go
lower
with the free stuff they will add, and billing adjustments.

So you net price may actually be lower than $49 after all is said and
done.
There is NO REBATE NECCESSARY now. They have moved to a lease model,
so
you also benefit from lifetime and immediate warranty support.

If they are not being generous, ask them what they WILL do.
BE prepared to negotiate.
The following items are good items to ask for, IF they will not give
you
one time credit, or monthly credits.

1) Direct adjustment to your bill for the price of the DVR.
2) $2 a month premium service for 6 months, HBO, SHOWTIME, CINEMAX,
STARZ. Sometimes its FREE, not even $2. Ask for it free first.
3) HD Dish and install FREE
4) HD programming package FREE for 6 months, OR $2 a month

NOTE: The longer you have been a DTV customer, the more generous
they
will
be.

Make sure they know you have been a loyal customer and that you have
turned
down offers to go to DISH network or Digital Comcast recently because
you
are loyal to DTV.

Different customer reps have different flexibility or willingness to
help
you get this deal.
Many people tell us that male customer service reps are more willing to
offer
this deal than female.

Final Technique

Keep in mind, no matter what, you can save money or get free services
even
if you do not buy a dvr.

Plus they will still offer you FREE HBO for 6 months and perhaps a few
other treats. So regardless of how you benefit from this info, you
will
have learned the secret to getting big discounts from DTV for your DTV
service
for the future.

PS: If you ever have a problem with DTV, be it billing, or ANYTHING,
Call
this number. These people have high level supervisor rights and can
fix
almost any problem and do it in 2 minutes.

IMPORTANT!

THIS ALONE is worth the price of the info. This hotline is priceless
for
getting deals, promos, billing problems fixed. You name it, they
will
fix
it.
This info can be used for as long as you are a DTV customer.
This is your personal hotline. They will fix any problem instantly.
Once transferrred they answer the phone usually on the first ring,
NEVER
on hold.
Best customer service DTV provides.

I've been a DirecTV customer for 10 years. I didnt have to go to retention to get this offer. I just asked about HD. They gave me a free receiver, dish, 8 drop install, and a 4x8 amplifier for a 2 year commitment. Not like I was going to switch anyway. NFL Sunday Ticket FTW!

Darth Millennial said:
I've been a DirecTV customer for 10 years. I didnt have to go to retention to get this offer. I just asked about HD. They gave me a free receiver, dish, 8 drop install, and a 4x8 amplifier for a 2 year commitment. Not like I was going to switch anyway. NFL Sunday Ticket FTW!

NFL Sunday Ticket is why I switched from Comcast to DirecTV. Did you the HD DVR receiver?

IMHO: People that take advantage of stuff like this is the reason that everyone else's bills are so high. :(

ShLoNkY said:
IMHO: People that take advantage of stuff like this is the reason that everyone else's bills are so high. :(

Well, yes and no... but on a similar story, I just got off the phone with DirecTV ordering HD for my Dad for XMas...

and he's only got to pay shipping! No shit, I didn't even mention this deal (didn't see it till after i got off the phone)

It's probably because he's got three different D* accounts (Home, summer home, and my sister's apt.)

ShLoNkY said:

WTF???????

I've been on DirecTV for nearly 6 years with the "EVERYTHING" subscription package and I pay about $107.00 a month, with 2 recievers and TiVO.

Charter Cable for a lot fewer channels, 1 reciever and no DVR would be $99.00/month.

Where is the higher cost?

BTW, on the DTV website there is an equipment upgrade page, and based on your length of service they will offer you various freebies and deals on equipment - not programming.

Just about every service-based company has some sort of retention team to try and convince customers to keep their service.

About my above statement about driving prices up:

Some people take this kinda stuff way too far calling my company every week claiming they are going to cancel service and demand something for free. Many times we call their bluff, but sometimes we don't.

Call the companies that you do monthly business with and see if they have any unadvertised specials or something for loyal customers.

Just don't be "that guy" that bitches, claims they are going to cancel service and demands something for nothing. Thats unethical and hurts everyone in the long run in my humble opinion.

I had used this a few months ago to get $10 off my bill for 6 months and then the other day got Showtime free for 6months (i am a 10yr + customer).

I agree that males are better than females...i got a male the first time who offered me everything under the sun, the female i got the second time only offered me showtime...

I am not going to HD right now though as I love Tivo and DTV no longer uses tivo...they use their own DVRs which i do not like as well :rolleyes:

ShLoNkY said:
Just about every service-based company has some sort of retention team to try and convince customers to keep their service.

About my above statement about driving prices up:

Some people take this kinda stuff way too far calling my company every week claiming they are going to cancel service and demand something for free. Many times we call their bluff, but sometimes we don't.

Call the companies that you do monthly business with and see if they have any unadvertised specials or something for loyal customers.

Just don't be "that guy" that bitches, claims they are going to cancel service and demands something for nothing. Thats unethical and hurts everyone in the long run in my humble opinion.

Can't argue with the clarification. :D

I just signed an 18-mo. contract with Dish Network (non-HD). (This is my first experience with a satellite TV company.) I plan to get an HDTV next year and then eventually upgrade to HDTV service (probably will try OTA for the local stuff). If Dish doesn't give me an incentive to stay with them, I'll jump to DirecTV, assuming they can entice me. :cool:

Ok let me see if I understand this clearly. I have an HDTV in my living room, we got it when HDTV's weren't new but they were pretty recent, and to get channels in HD we were told we would need an HD box. Now if I get this receiver I will no longer need the HD box?

Killa_2327 said:
Ok let me see if I understand this clearly. I have an HDTV in my living room, we got it when HDTV's weren't new but they were pretty recent, and to get channels in HD we were told we would need an HD box. Now if I get this receiver I will no longer need the HD box?

That reciever is the HD "box." In order to watch TV in HD you need one of 2 things: Either an HD reciever from the cable or DTV company or an HD Reciever that picks up an HD signal Over the air.

An HD reciever that picks up the signal OTA is only good for a few local channels where as from your cable or DTV provider has a lot more channels including SOME locals.

I get all the locals through my cable provider except Fox and CBS. If I want those I need to pickup an OTA HD reciever.

Im not from RI, but do know a thing or two about cable networks/HD/programming/politics between cable companies and individual networks etc.

Lets just say I "know" someone. ;)

Feel free to PM me

Thanks for all the advice! I've had DirecTV for about 2 years now, maybe I'll try some of this on them ;)

By the way ShLoNkY, your signature is hilarious :D (and a little disturbing)

I'm no longer with them, but when I moved a while back and dropped them, they offered me $75.00 cash plus 6 months of premiums and some other stuff.

One thing all you HD people should keep in mind is that Sat and Cable HD < OTA HD. If you're watching network TV, the best picture is better over the antenna, though it may not be as big a difference with the new compression.

i agree with the males vs the female thing, I was calling to get cable internet a while ago and they had a special on for like 39.99 for 6months for there service but i had to also pay like 54 for installing and some crap.. i hanged up and called back later and ended up paying first months bill and installing for only $60 and plus the modem was free. and it turned out to be a much better deal talking to the male then it was with the female which i even asked her if there was any special deal i could get and all i got was a "no".

Back