How to get Doom 95 working on windows 7?

Cube

[H]ard|Gawd
How to get Doom 95 working on vaio p windows 7 netbook? other than the windows xp virtual PC mode it works in that on My desktop.

and hexen 95.

I want untouched raw doom that is not dos Doom since I cant find my DOS doom.

It starts but everything is scrambled and not playable and hexen crashes.

use DOSBOX for DOS version of Doom. Should be easy enough to find the DOS executable if you have the DOOM WAD file. If you don't want to go in that direction I would use DOOM95 in compatibility mode for XP in Windows 7. GZDoom is another good program if you have the WAD file.

Last edited:
Dosbox, or buy Doom BFG edition which has everything ported to work just fine on 7x64.

Use a modern port like Skulltag or something, it'll look pretty and you'll get neat things like proper mouse look and fancy lighting.

Use a modern port like Skulltag or something, it'll look pretty and you'll get neat things like proper mouse look and fancy lighting.

This! The Doom engine is open source and has been ported to just about every operating system ever. Since you have you Doom 95 CD, all you need to do is copy the level/art/sound files off your disk and download your favorite executable off the internet.

This link looks helpful.
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_play_Doom_on_Windows_XP

Zdoom, Doom Legacy or Skulltag. Load up the WAD files with that and you can play doom as it was or with enhancement mods. (3d models, lighting, special effects)

And since you are at it, when you get bored of original doom (as unlikely as it might be) check out Brutal Doom mod. Much more blood and gore, body parts that can be kicked around, fatalities... Its glorious. :D

http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/videos/brutal-doom-version-017-trailer#imagebox

Go into the settings of the computer and change the 64 bit to a lower setting or have it play through a later version of the os.

My vaio p netbook runs a 32bit intel atom CPU so there is no 64bit... I will try it somewhere else though.

wow Brutal Doom looks amazing... and here I thought I'd seen all the cool wads out there

it always impresses me how well this game has held up over the years. still insanely fun... of course that's probably mostly nostalgia speaking, but still...

of course that's probably mostly nostalgia speaking, but still...
I don't think it is. I've probably played more Doom in the last five years than I did in the '90s, so the nostalgia has pretty much worn off. And I still think it's one of the best games ever made. The game mechanics have a level of variety, balance, polish and interaction that I don't think I've seen in any shooter since.

I had just as much of a sense of nostalgia for Wolf, Quake, Duke3D or ROTT, but replaying them now, I don't think any of them really hold up.

Back