How to get a new IP?

impuLsive

Gawd
I have optimum online (Cablevision) and have a SB5100 cable modem (At another PC) and a WCG200 linksys router (Using USB) on this PC. I want to reset the IP address (Get a new one) but can't seem to do it. I've tried flushing the DNS and such, but I never get a new IP. With the cable modem (When I didn't have a router), I always had the same IP address. When I got the router, It got a new IP automatically for It's self. How do I change it now?

You could cycle the modem. Or you can stop getting yourself IP banned from things. :p

Your MAC Address needs to change on the first device after the cable modem.

sometimes this works

hook modem direct to PC (remove router from the system)

start->run->cmd->type ipconfig /all

make note of IP address

then type ipconfig /release

wait

then type ipconfig /renew

wait

compare IP to original one, many times the ISP will reassign you the same IP you had before, in this case you can leave the cable modem unpluged when the lease expires on the IP, then reconnect and you will get a new one, i have had pretty good success by releasing the IP, leaving modem unplugged overnight, and renew the next day

Your not going to able to simply power cycle your cable modem and obtain a new IP address.. I highly doubt that your ISP has a 1 minute lease time:eek:

With that said, if you really do need a new ip address, you could power down the modem for a few hrs and hopefully obtain a new address. I say hopefully because you don't know how long their lease time is.

Someone mentioned changing the MAC address, this will only work if the ISP doesn't require you to register the MAC of your router, which COX cable did when i lived in RI:rolleyes:

Back