How to get 5.1 sound in Gears of War????

Sipster

Gawd
Anyone know??? I only get sound out of my 2 front speakers. All other games, I get full surroung. Anyone else having this problem???

This in on Vista 64!

set your soud options so it goes through 8 channels (7.1) instead of 6 channels

I believe I read something about Gears of War not supporting 5.1, which may explain why you're not getting it to work.

Quoted from Epic Games forums:

To get surround sound in gears of war do the following steps. I use Windows XP by the way.

First you gotta click on start, then click on my documents then my games then Gears Of War For Windows then Wargame then config (the logs directory can be found in the wargame directory too)

1. Edit warengineusersettings.ini and change these to the following:
UseEffectsProcessing=True
DeviceName=

2. Run Gears of War, go to Audio options, then set audio effects to off. Then quit the game.

3. Then you open the latest log file in the logs folder. Under this log look for this:

Init: AL_RENDERER : SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio [B880] (THIS IS AN EXAMPLE, VALUES WILL VARY BASED ON SOUNDCARD)

4. Now copy the AL_RENDERER value from the log file (the value is SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio [B880] in this case) and then paste it into the warengineusersettings.ini under DeviceName=

5. Now your warengineusersettings.ini will look like this:
UseEffectsProcessing=True
DeviceName=SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio [B880]

6. Save it, load gears and enjoy surround sound.

Sounds needlessly complicated for the final version of a game that originated with 5.1 audio. These latest Epic games really are skimping on configuration options on the PC.

Sounds needlessly complicated for the final version of a game that originated with 5.1 audio. These latest Epic games really are skimping on configuration options on the PC.

A similar thing happened with Jade Empire. It didnt support surround sound on release either (not sure if it has since been fixed). It's a shame because both the Jade Empire and Gears of War ports would have been near flawless if the sound was properly implemented. It's a pretty major thing for the devs to omit.

In this case, it's clearly there, but because they skimped on the options screens there's no easy way to implement it. I'm not suggesting they go back to Unreal 1 with the crazy outside console with a zillion options, but a configuration like the one in UT2003, Quake 4, HL:2, etc. would be nice. I'm going to guess that UT3's going to be troublesome to configure, too. Seems like that's an Unreal Engine 3 trademark. The GUI looks pretty, but functionality suffers.

It's just frustrating that they cut corners on ports. UT3 uses the same engine as Gears and it has 5.1 sound working by default.

Back