How to fulfill my Dream?

In my childhood, I used to play videos games as my pass time and always thought to create game software. After my graduation, I went into my family business, which left me with very less time to flourish my interests. But somewhere I'm still missing that. Now I have decided to learn how these animations are created like in car race or many more games. What would you suggest on this?

If you want to get into the video game industry as a programmer then you need to get at least a BS in Computer Science with a minor in Physics or Mathematics. Learn C++ inside and out, as that will be your new best friend, learning Python would also be a good thing as well, as it seems some games are using it for scripting events (Battlefield 2 comes to mind).

Most games are made with either OpenGL or DirectX so learning those APIs would be very helpful to you. There is a good bit of higher level math involved, so don't be afraid to dive into that.

If you want to get into animation, then you first need to learn about art. I'd recommend looking into taking a few basic art classes at your local community college and then look into going to a art/design college.

I know this seems like a lot, but don't let it scare you. If you want to start off small, start learning Python or Flash and make some simple game like Tetris or Bejeweled to get started and then maybe move onto making some simple Flash or iPhone games.

I hope that helps, good luck. :D

I don't work in the video game industry myself so I couldn't tell you exacts, but I did make a video game for a class in College. My project was a space shooter game so the math wasn't too bad, but one of the projects was building a game that involved blowing up objects (similar to Red Faction Guerrilla). The student who wrote that showed me the code that determined how each piece of debris fell and it honestly made my head spin.

I have searched through job postings for video game companies, and many of them ask for strong math skills and the interviews would usually involve a basic math test.

Matrices and trigonometry, yes.

There are many paths into the gaming industry. You can do art and animation, you can do development, you can do something in-between.

I am very impressed by the animations used in online games and want to learn how these are created. What I need to do to have in-depth knowledge of this field?

Having a degree in animation is quite good option to have in-depth knowledge of this field. It would also benefit you in your career ahead in this field.

I have to take care of my family business also beside education so my preference would be earning online degree. How could I be able to pursue it? Suggest some online platform for the same.

Aww, n00bie to n00bie. :p

The college thing is going to be hard for me as well, as I don't want to go to college...maybe online would be the way to go, but eh...we'll see. I'm currently trying to understand C++, and taking physics (which I now realize I should pay more attention to).

i am looking into this as well. i am a total noob so i have alot of knowledge i need to soak up..

I'm going to school for Computer Science, and IMO, video game programmers have to be some of the most brilliant people in the working world...

+1 to that.

Knowing the very little I know, its hard for me to listen to people criticize game devs so harshly when they don't have a clue. I mean wrong design decisions are one thing but it's gotta be tough to create something as amazingly complex as a modern game, and then the only real feedback you get is negative. I mean, you never hear the average gamer praising the programmers behind a game. Usually if they like the game, its the artists/story guys that get the credit. Even around here cryengine 2 got like 90% negative feedback as being "poorly programmed", when as far as I know, it wasn't the programming but the amount of eye candy that was stuffed into that game that made it hard to run smoothly.

Bleh, that was a hell of a tangent. I'll be happy if I can make myself a little game engine at some point for fun. Gotta be awesome seeing a working 3d game world and knowing it all came from your head.

I looked into the link you provided nelson and found it quite beneficial to pursue online degree from well recognized university.

Degreeexperts provides a quite good platform to earn online degree from well recognized and accredited universities worldwide. You don’t even need to bother about enrolling into particular course as it has become very easy with this website.

Instead of starting a new thread, I figured this might be relevant here since Degree Experts is being mentioned... Do employers commonly see brick-and-mortar institutions as being superior to online ones? Whether or not that's actually true, I'd like you guys' perspectives on this.

I'm already transferring to a traditional 4-year school for my BSE Computer Science degree, but am really curious about this. I plan on continuing my education beyond getting a Master's, and an online curriculum would be very convenient. Question is... does the convenience come at a price beyond tuition?

@Volume

I have always found traditional brick and mortar 4 year degrees to be held higher than online ones. With online degrees it is always questionable regarding the content and depth given for a topic - let alone the ephemeral nature of the internet means an accredited school one year disappears high and dry the next.

No matter what your intentions or aspirations every human should have a basic understanding of math. My Basic I mean being able to at least find the slope of a curved plane.

Don't go to a online school, go to a 4 year University and have fun. I have so many friends who completely regret not going to college.

Back