How to forward all the email sent to an email address to 2 other (Exchange 2003)?

Starriol

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

I have a problem, a client had a setup with another mailserver (Mdaemon), that allowed him to do that.
Anyone knows how to do the same in Exchange? I thought about distribution lists, but I don't think it will work to have a dist. list called [email protected], with the members joe, martin and peter. You can't have an email address with the same name as a distribution list right?

How would you solve this?

Thanks!

You could have [email protected] go to joe, martin, and peter and you can call it [email protected] if you like.

If you are talking about Joe having the e-mail address [email protected] and he wants e-mails to go to martin and peter as well, then you can do that, but it would work best by using Outlook to create the server side rule. Though I have a few issues with that, in that if Joe gets something non-work related it will go to the other two as well.

Also you could create [email protected] if Joe's e-mail address is [email protected] or [email protected] or [email protected], or [email protected].

I'd say you could make a forwarding rule in outlook...all emails sent to [email protected] will forward to any addresses you specify.

I'm pretty sure you can add some details to the rule...such as only forward from a certain address or a certain domain or don't forward from a certain address or domain...so you wouldn't forward any email you didn't intend to.

Change Joe's E-mail to something like joe2@example. Then you can create a distrib. list with the E-mail joe@example and make Joe and whoever else you want a member of it.

OK so the situation is:

Mailbox called Tom. Two other users called Dick and Harry. Mail sent to Tom should be forwarded to Dick and Harry?

Setup a distribution list called something obvious and add Dick and Harry to it. On Toms mailbox properties look at the Exchange General/Delivery Options and add the distribution list you just made.

Sure you can do it using Outlook rules too, but it's not visible from the admin tools.

All this can be done in Exchange. If the other 2 addresses are external, then make a contact for each one and specify the external addresses. Then make a distribution group called whatever you want. Put either the 2 local accounts in it, or in the case they are external addresses, the 2 contacts you just made. Set [email protected]'s account to forward to the distribution list and optionally, leave a copy in his mailbox.

Forwarding e-mail from within Outlook has some advantages over doing it from the Admin console. You can create the rule and make it so that only some e-mails are forwarded, or some e-mails are not forwarded.

Though creating a Joe group, and giving Joe a different e-mail address might still be the easiest.

OK so the situation is:

Mailbox called Tom. Two other users called Dick and Harry. Mail sent to Tom should be forwarded to Dick and Harry?

Setup a distribution list called something obvious and add Dick and Harry to it. On Toms mailbox properties look at the Exchange General/Delivery Options and add the distribution list you just made.

Sure you can do it using Outlook rules too, but it's not visible from the admin tools.
I like this solution better than the one I mentioned. You could just set the forward on Toms mailbox to deliver the mail to both the forwarding address(dist. list) and Toms mailbox. It's a check box when you set the forward in Exchange.

Thanks Vertices and Hutchingsp.

I think that was the best solution, did just that and everything is working fine!

Back