How to format/clean SSDs for new build..?

SaViOr-

[H]ard|Gawd
Going to be doing a new build next week and plan to re-use my SSDs from current rig. Currently have a 128GB 840 Pro that I'm using as my OS drive and a 250GB 840 EVO that is being use for game installs.

Questions:

1. How do I go about erasing the data on both drives to ensure the new build goes smoothly? In the past with normal HDDs all I would do is erase and format the drive(s) during new windows installation screen. Not sure if this method is recommended for SSDs as well. Going to make the switch from W7 to W8.1 so want to avoid any possible issues

2. Would there be any benefit to switching my drives around? i.e. use my 250gb 840 EVO for OS/games and the 128gb Pro for additional game space or just keep them as-is?

Any help is appreciated.

I'd just do what you were doing before, should work fine. Windows will take care of alignment/etc when you format it.

If you have access to Mac OS X - their Disk Utility app can perform multiple secure erase procedures. I just connect the SSD to the Mac via a USB 3.0 SATA cable.

seems a bit pointless, id just do a quick format and then install windows. once the os does a trim on the drive I don't think you'd be able to recover anything from the unused space.

secure erase is not so much about obliterating the data as it is about restoring the SSD to factory performance

secure erase is not so much about obliterating the data as it is about restoring the SSD to factory performance

Writing zeros in a single pass can just as easily do that and it doesn't involve thrashing the thing with unneeded passes of random data.

sigh

the ATA secure erase command IS the most efficient way to return a used SSD to like new condition

but you do it however you like

Thanks for all the input and suggestions guys!

I couldn't figure out how to use g-parted with the iso file, but Samsung's Magician program does secure erase within that. Secure erased my game drive and will make a boot usb to secure erase my main drive before I move the drives to the new rig. :)

Many toolboxes have a secure erase depending on brand.

I have acronis disk direct and made a bootable ISO where I can fire that up pre-os and wipe out the C drive without any fuss.

I noticed that piriform defraggler has a mode where if its an SSD it will write 0's to all the empty sectors. Trim does this as well but there might be sectors that are not cleared during garbage collection for some reason and they will still contain data so this will free up those sectors so it wont have to mark them for deletion when you write to those sectors.. Kind of like what chkdsk does for hard drives. Only for those not using secure or full erase on their drives. Also secure erase does not always write zero's to the sector.

Writing zeros in a single pass can just as easily do that and it doesn't involve thrashing the thing with unneeded passes of random data.

Random data will not restore factory performance. As the drive has to still do a logical sector lookup and for some controllers this takes a lot of time. My crucial M500 will drop from 450MB to just under 300MB for data reads. A blank drive will show 450-500MB read speeds.

Back