==How to Flash the BFG6800GT OC into an Ultra in a safe way==

Here is another update for those interested in the effects of BIOS flashing in the long term.

I flashed my BFG 6800GT into an Ultra back in mid-July and my card is still alive and kicking ass!! :)

The current BIOS revision is version 5.40.02.15.12 and I'm running the card at 420/1100. I reduced the speed down from my original starting point of 435/1200 because I wanted to increase my CPU overclock.

For some reason, I can't have a high OC on both my CPU and GPU. Since I reasoned that my CPU would've been a bottleneck for the data-hungry 6800Ultra, I chose to OC my CPU from 2.8GHZ to 3.5GHZ and downclock the GPU to 420/1100 from 435/1200.

Overall, I want to report that the card is doing very well without any issues after having been flashed about 20 times all together during the last 5 months. :)

uclajd said:
This works fine for saving my BIOS, but for some reason I get an error when I try to flash the modified file. I am a DOS retard, but I followed your instructions to the letter.

I used:

"C:\Documents and Settings\ANON\Desktop\nvidia stuff\nvflash442w\nvflash442.exe" nvflash442 -p -u -2 14.bios.rom

UPDATE: I just used the following successfully:

"C:\Documents and Settings\ANON\Desktop\nvidia stuff\nvflash442w\nvflash442.exe" nvflash.exe -f uclajdsbios.rom -p -u -2

So let's see what happens after reboot!

Hattip: xxORBxx in xtreme systems forums

Update #2: Flash of my original BIOS from 1.3 to 1.4 worked OK. Previous top, stable OC: 425. New OC, tested for an hour in UT2004: 440. 445 failed after a few minutes. But we'll see what water cooling can do when I get a block. ;) Oh, and my idle temps went up about 4-5F.

I get some PCI bios not present error or something. When I try to flash from DOS within windows.

chrisf6969 said:
I get some PCI bios not present error or something. When I try to flash from DOS within windows.

When flashing through DOS, your modified BIOS name cannot be longer than 8 characters.

It's important to note that not only is bios flashing for voltage increases, but also to stop the clock throttling. Overclocked 6800s throttle down to the default clock rate in the bios (350 for a GT) under load. If you change the "default" clock in the bios to whatever your overclock is, it won't throttle, and you should notice some significant performance gains in benches. Of course, that overclock needs to be truly stable, or the absence of throttling will freeze/crash whatever bench you are running.

Don't believe me? Run Rivatuner's hardware monitor during your next benchmark, and watch the throttling (what you thought was an overclocked card is actually dropping down to default clock).

Then flash a clock-modded bios (use omniextremeedit) and watch no throttling, and corresponding performance increase. Again, that assumes your clock is in fact totally stable.

[RIP]Zeus said:
get this prob with the nvflash 4.42

"ERROR: PCI BIOS not present
NOTE: This program can only be run under DOS"

how would one go about getting pasted this or a fix for it?
i keep getting this too...what em i doing wrong? my cmds are right

Optimummind said:
Here is another update for those interested in the effects of BIOS flashing in the long term.

I flashed my BFG 6800GT into an Ultra back in mid-July and my card is still alive and kicking ass!! :)

The current BIOS revision is version 5.40.02.15.12 and I'm running the card at 420/1100. I reduced the speed down from my original starting point of 435/1200 because I wanted to increase my CPU overclock.

For some reason, I can't have a high OC on both my CPU and GPU. Since I reasoned that my CPU would've been a bottleneck for the data-hungry 6800Ultra, I chose to OC my CPU from 2.8GHZ to 3.5GHZ and downclock the GPU to 420/1100 from 435/1200.

Overall, I want to report that the card is doing very well without any issues after having been flashed about 20 times all together during the last 5 months. :)

If you want your overclock on your cpu AND V/C to stay.. get a OCZ Powerstream 520w and your set hehehe

Warrior said:
i keep getting this too...what em i doing wrong? my cmds are right

Make sure that your new BIOS name does not exceed 8 characters. I ran into this error msg too but after I shrunk the name of the BIOS to something like bfg6800.rom, the flash ran through OK.

aZn_plyR said:
If you want your overclock on your cpu AND V/C to stay.. get a OCZ Powerstream 520w and your set hehehe

Yea, I suspect my current PSU too. It's a Vantec Stealth 420W PSU. I thought it was a pretty decent PSU but in the latest Maximum PC magazine, it got a so-so rating.

Maybe I'll follow MaxPC's advice and buy an Antec Neo 480W PSU. It got a 10/10 award.

Hmm....

the name of my bios is new.rom its not working....do i have to flash with a boot up floppy?..cause my windows dos wont let me

Warrior said:
the name of my bios is new.rom its not working....do i have to flash with a boot up floppy?..cause my windows dos wont let me

Are you using the Windows version of nVFlash v4.42? If you don't have that one, PM me yoru email addy and I'll send it to you.

PM sent..you should include that in your guide..that there is seporate version to flash the VGA BIOS

wow this is a big ass tread of the same questions over and over lol.....

Optimummind, I see that you've included a 1.5V BIOS for the BFG 6800GT OC as well...any benefit to having the higher voltage as opposed to the 1.4V?

wierd...i did this and overclocked my leadtek 6800gt to 430/1150 and my benchmarking speeds ar slower...and put back my original bios..and my stock settings are faster? anyone can help?

modat said:
wierd...i did this and overclocked my leadtek 6800gt to 430/1150 and my benchmarking speeds ar slower...and put back my original bios..and my stock settings are faster? anyone can help?

the card down clocks its self when its overheating...some 6800s will do it anything over 400Mhz, like my first GT did.. if the card freezes in 3d for a few secounds thats the card downclocking itsself..

Rivia tunner has a little monitor that will monitor your Mhz on a line graph, run it wile you gamming and when you exit you can see where it downclocked..

well...my card pooped out for 2 days of doing this mod..turn the computer on..and i get artifacts like a motha...like...horrible artifacts..cant even see anything...bios and windows wont reconize the card...i have a leadtek 6800 gt..just a heads up if anyone is thinking about it. This sucks..the good part is newegg accepted my rma claim...the shitty part is that they dont have any of these cards in stock..and there is no ETA for them..so i dunno what to im gona do

just reflash to the stock bios using a pci card..........had the same prob wif my first GT.....twice as a matter of fact.....just reflashed to the stock bios and all was fine and dandy...g00d luck

Optimummind said:
Yea, I suspect my current PSU too. It's a Vantec Stealth 420W PSU. I thought it was a pretty decent PSU but in the latest Maximum PC magazine, it got a so-so rating.

Maybe I'll follow MaxPC's advice and buy an Antec Neo 480W PSU. It got a 10/10 award.

Hmm....
Got my Neo 480w.....man its swEEt as hell....sexy too......lol.....my overcloacks are much more stable..........

the card down clocks its self when its overheating...some 6800s will do it anything over 400Mhz, like my first GT did.. if the card freezes in 3d for a few secounds thats the card downclocking itsself..

Rivia tunner has a little monitor that will monitor your Mhz on a line graph, run it wile you gamming and when you exit you can see where it downclocked..

is there anyway to stop it from doing that.......????

TheBoss68 said:
Got my Neo 480w.....man its swEEt as hell....sexy too......lol.....my overcloacks are much more stable..........

is there anyway to stop it from doing that.......????

Yay, I just received my NeoPower 480W today! Using Abit's EQ program and running about 10 programs at once (including a rthdr demo with all settings maxed out), I noticed that my 12 V is very stable and never goes below -3%.

My previous PSU, which was the Vantec Stealth 420W with no PFC, used to jump all over the place under the same stress conditions.

Once I let the PSU settle in for tonight, I'm gonna try flashing my card back to 440/1200 and see what happens. :D

BTW, if you want to prevent the core from throttling down, you can try flashing your card to a set speed. Just be careful. If you don't have good cooling, dont' bother increasing the voltage feed to the core.

dammit! I flashed my BGF and guess what? My temps went up! damn! :mad:

hey, I bet you're thinking my 6800 temps went up. nope :p . My CPU temp went up for some reason after I flashed. It was 36 load, now its 42. I'm not complaining though. My BFG now easily oc's to 440/1120 with the new bios, even staying about 50 degrees with the stock cooler.

Thanks a bunch for this wonderful thead!!

EDIT, woah. It seems to be pretty damn stable at 445/1150. I wonder what I could do if I had better cooling?

EDIT DON'T LISTEN TO ME! it was great at first, but it all went hell

Man, I'm sorry to hear that. Were you able to get your card replaced? What kind of coolinig were you using?

Buying 2 mounting screws for my Asetek waterblock during my lunch break. Slapping my brand new BFG 6800GT-OC in there and flashing tonight. Hope it goes well!!

Guess I should start with the 1.4 400/1100 just to be safe?

typhoon43 said:
Buying 2 mounting screws for my Asetek waterblock during my lunch break. Slapping my brand new BFG 6800GT-OC in there and flashing tonight. Hope it goes well!!

Guess I should start with the 1.4 400/1100 just to be safe?

To be really safe, you should not flash the BIOS but mount the waterblock and see how far your card goes. After you hit the ceiling, then you should flash the BIOS and see how more you can go.

That way, you have some data to compare.

I tried the Leadtek and the BFG 400/1100 and 430/1150 BIOSs with my XFX 6800GT but whe playing WoW my screen gets all garbled. I cannot go past 418mhz with 1.3v but 1.4v I lockup.

Reverting back to the original BIOS fixes it. I am using watercooling so I'm a little stumped. Any suggestions?

good dammit!! the flash worked fine for a few days, but then it started freezing after a few minutes, even at stock speeds. I flashed it back and have it at 400/1100 to be safe

My card also crapped out and would not post video after flashing the 1.4 bios. Even my old backup bios would not flash. had to download the stock BFG 6800GT bios off the page and flashed that while using a pci card and it worked.

Now for some fucked up reason every other game works excet HL2 and GTA Vice city. game loads and then when the main screen for HL2 comes up it will not post video monitor gives me some "over hz" message or something.

Tried calling BFG tech, installing and reinstalling dirvers, games, etc. still no luck.

Also noticed that under the display settings it only shows a default monitor, not my viewsonic. Tried installing viewsonic drivers again and no luck still says default monitor. Not sure???????

Any ideas???

Bop said:
Reverting back to the original BIOS fixes it. I am using watercooling so I'm a little stumped. Any suggestions?

Is the GPU waterblock on the same loop as your CPU or chipset block? If so, then you may not see much of a benefit to cooling your GPU with water. What I did was build a custom external loop just for the GT with a DangerDen NV-68 block. Doing so allowed me to overclock more.

Another reason your card can't handle the OC and the increased voltage may be due to its inherent lack of ability to be clocked much higher.

UPDATE: I've now flashed my card to the latest BIOS revision I could find. It's v5.40.02.32.00. I used the XFX 6800 Ultra revision 3 BIOS. I changed the voltage to 1.4 V for all modes just as before with my previous BFG BIOS and left the speeds alone at 425/1100.

I'll give the new BIOS a try. I just got my MSI Neo2 motherboard back so I'm ditching my AV8 and hopefully I'll get a better OC.

I have the CPU and the GPU on the same loop but under full GPU load the highest the temp went was 53C after 1 hour running rthdribl so I think my OC cap is a poor card. I have the same crash when running my card @ 430mhz with 1.3v so that is most likely the culprit.

Has anybody flashed a 6800GT PCI-E to a 6800 Ultra????

What about running them in SLI mode afterwards?????

I have two Leadtek 6800 GT's running in SLI - it would be real nice to make them into Ultra's.....

yeah tha would be something that i would like to hear about as well!

wemo said:
Has anybody flashed a 6800GT PCI-E to a 6800 Ultra????

What about running them in SLI mode afterwards?????

I have two Leadtek 6800 GT's running in SLI - it would be real nice to make them into Ultra's.....

Why would you want to? I mean I clock my 6800GT's at 410 1100, 24/7 and even if I had the core at 400 they would still out perform the Ultra's because the GT's have better RAM timings... (not by much, but at least you don't have to worrry about screwing up your card with a bad BIOS flash)

I agree. If anything and you get a dud ocer, just mod the voltage to 1.4 with omniextremeedit thingy. Although you need a decent heatsink, i have to get the arctic silencer 5 before i can oc mine on 1.4v.

Those of you who have flashed your 6800GT to an ultra, better rethink it. The GT's have tighter memory timings than the ultra bioses. The truth is, anyone with any 6800GT or Ultra card should be using a GT bios. Do a search on Thugsrook's 6800GT GS bios on google and you should get the information i describe.
It wasnt a coincidence that lower scores were achieved by those who flashed their GT bioses with Ultra ones. YOu guys have been losing performance this whole time.

Captain_Insano said:
I agree. If anything and you get a dud ocer, just mod the voltage to 1.4 with omniextremeedit thingy. Although you need a decent heatsink, i have to get the arctic silencer 5 before i can oc mine on 1.4v.
i did the same thing! I had stock cooling on my PNY ( refrence boards) and the temps were outragious load of 80c after i flashed to ultra ( not ultra bios..just clocks and voltage) so i got a NV silencer 5 and now temps are low..but after i flashed i kept getting random fleezing with the screen a jumble of colors and all i could do is restart..and in like a day it would do it again ( usually under hard gaming) i lowerd the core a bit and upped the mem and now its stable..need to fool around with difforent BIOSes so i can get this stable again.. happy OCing!

Back