How to fix sag on an Asus DCII 6950?

m3ta1head

DbmMb.jpg

As you can see in the image above, my 6950 sags ever so slightly towards the end of the card. The 6 and 8pin 12v connectors aren't putting any pressure on the card. I am worried that this will get worse overtime and start bending the pcb, so I'm looking for a solution to straighten the card up. Anyone have any ideas?

It's not the prettiest solution but for my sagging card I propped up the end with a slim wooden dowel...

Is it just me or isn't it a 6870 dcII card?

6950 is a 3 slots cars which this isn't.

Card Keeper looks interesting. For me, a zip tie is a bit easier. Loop it from the sagging corner up to that drive cage.

"Oh, but what if he ever wants to swap the card out?" Easy. Snip the damn zip tie. Then stick another on when you reinstall the card. A bag of 50 is what, a buck?

Guaranteed to last.

:)

Check out the Scythe Ninja Wire to help your videocard from sagging, its not very expensive and I've heard it works great for your type of problem.

Here's a link to Scythe's website;
Ninja Wire

I highly doubt the card is sagging. Those coolers are pretty rigid and the PCB is screwed to it in a number of places.

I pulled the image and drew a straight line along the length of the card and it looks pretty straight to me.

It looks to be more of an issue of the motherboard being slightly misaligned in the case, causing the card to be misaligned. I wouldn't put anything in there to "straighten" it as it would be putting more stress on the PCI-E slot than is already there.

What you might want to do is loosen the screws on your motherboard and see if you can slide it upward some.

The card is sagging at the back. Compare the line of the heatsink backplate edge to the blue PCIE slot under it. The rear of the card is lower. I have seen this on all my xfire setups to one degree or another. Both my 6950's sag but it has not effected functionality at all.

If it really bugs you prop the rear up with a wood dowel or use the nylon tie wrap idea. Either works fine. If you cannot find a suitable substitute laying around the house go raid the neighbors tree for a stick... seriously.. don't spend any $$ fixing this as it's mostly aesthetic.

My2c

It shouldn't in anyway damage the card or slot. But it is annoying. I can't think of any way of "fixing" it that wouldn't make it look tacky.

Which is why I'm considering my next be one of the silverstone cases that has the motherboard rotated 90 degrees.

I have the same problem, i'm hoping for no long term damage to the motherboard also.

I remember seeing a lil while back someone does indeed make a "pro" prop for the back of cards like this. I cannot for the life of me remember who made it and cannot locate it on google any more. The "ninja" string above actually grabs the power cables... personally I'd rather use a nylon tie wrap if I were going to grab it there.

***edit***

Found it...

PowerColor POWER JACK

powerjack_features_3.jpg

Cost ya about $20 shipped at the egg.

PowerColor Professional Graphics Interface Card Supporter Model POWER JACK

Read the reviews as it seems to have issues with large cases.

if your cables are long enough, feed them from above the card. Use zipties behind the MB tray to hold them there as supports.

I just put a couple zip ties on the 6 pin cables and pulled up on them a little, was free and works perfectly.

Back