How to fix a bad ethernet port?

Does anyone know how you'd go about fixing a bad ethernet port in a switch? Is the only option to try to reflow the entire PCB?

or a heatgun + some alumi to locallize the reflow...?

A variation of the video card in the oven trick? Few minutes in there and all the solder softens and reconnects?

Obviously take it out of its housing first!

It wouldn't hurt to try. What kind of switch is it? If it's a cheapo Dlink or something, you have nothing to lose.

How do you know it is bad to where a reflow would work?

you need a decent multimeter at least, or better- an ociliscope. you folow each trace from the jack to wherever it goes (usually the controler chip) and put the scope on each end and check for continuity. if there is an open circuit or lots of resistance, a solder joint might have failed somewhere and a reflow could fix it.

if its a cheapo switch, i guess you could give it a try, but i dont know what you have tried to rule out other possible causes or what makes you think its a soldering issue.

If its a cheap switch I wouldn't think it would be worth the effort. I'd only try something like this on a out of warranty Cisco or something else high end.

If its a cheap switch I wouldn't think it would be worth the effort. I'd only try something like this on a out of warranty Cisco or something else high end.

agreed, but something to tinker with i guess if your board....

Depending on the board, he could use a heat gun OR a re-flow hot air soldering iron.

Back