how to find PLP matching monitors for QX2710?

Thuleman

Supreme [H]ardness
Do you guys know of an easy way to figure out which monitor make/model would make a good compliment for a portrait-landscape-portrait setup with a QNIX QX2710 in the center?

The QX2710 is 2560x1440, presumably this means that the two portrait monitors would need to be 1440x900. Matching the resolution is easy, but what about matching the aesthetics and stand height (though stand height can be monkeyed with). It's primarily about the looks to get something that doesn't totally look out of place.

15" laptop screens are your best bet for matching resolution and scale. You will not find a "prebuilt" monitor that will line up and act as a solid PLP.

The issues with the above solution are:

1). Laptop screens of that resolution and size are usually TN so they can look crappy at certain angles, especially in portrait.

2). Laptop screens will require converters to connect to VGA or DVI.

3). How to mount the laptop screens as they don't have VESA holes

4). At 900 pixels wide they are of limited usefulness as they are too narrow for modern web pages and many applications.

Having said all this it CAN be done:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038710563&highlight=#post1038710563

Whether you want to do it is completely up to you. I personally went 20-30-20 PLP (and 3x20" LLL) to avoid the engineering nightmare:

asymetric_six_monitors by rtangwai, on Flickr

and eventually I dumped it in favor of 3x30" (and 4x22" LLLL) because PLP was not supported at the time in Crossfire/SLI:

Balanced world at night by rtangwai, on Flickr

If you are looking for fit but not resolution match you can get away with 4:3 17" monitors in portrait (1280x1024) as they are nearly identical in height to the 27" panel, but the PPI will be way off (96PPI for the 17", 108PPI for the 27" 1440p).

Last edited:
Do you guys know of an easy way to figure out which monitor make/model would make a good compliment for a portrait-landscape-portrait setup with a QNIX QX2710 in the center?

The QX2710 is 2560x1440, presumably this means that the two portrait monitors would need to be 1440x900. Matching the resolution is easy, but what about matching the aesthetics and stand height (though stand height can be monkeyed with). It's primarily about the looks to get something that doesn't totally look out of place.

I think you'll find it difficult. I would say just get two more QX2710. Then you know they'll match. I've used both setups and found having 3 identical monitors landscape is better. The extra real estate makes the outer monitors more useful imo.

Last edited:
Back