How to execute a file from a URL link?

SedoSan

Limp Gawd
Hello all,

I've installed a NAS and am trying to execute files directly from it to launch instead of going physically to the folder to launch the program from.
I've installed multiple games on it and am sharing them with my household. I know that the game works perfectly from any PC if I access the NAS share folder directly. This is the file location:
Code:
\\freenas\FreeNASshare\Game\game.exe
What I want to do is to make a fancy looking web-page to sort all games and files in it so a user will just open the HTML page and launch the game directly from it (I don't want my users to roam freely in the shared folders). So to test it out I tried doing this code:
Code:
<a href="file:\\freenas\FreeNASshare\Game\game.exe" target="_blank">Start Game</a>.
Clicking on this link will only download the ".exe" file instead of executing it...

Is there any way to execute a file from a web browser?

You should use forward-slashes instead of back-slashes in the URL. Only UNC paths use back-slashes.

Another alternative is to create Windows shortcuts on each machine. Or a shortcut on each machine which points to a folder on your NAS which contains shortcuts to every game.

Back