How to enable USB support during Windows XP installation?

GeForceX

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm trying to re-install Windows XP on a laptop for a client. A message popped up saying that a igxpmp32.sys file was required. So I went to get the .sys file and placed it on a USB flash drive. I plugged it in the laptop and it would not be recognized. I re-checked BIOS to make sure USB support was enabled and it was.

In short of burning the .sys file on a blank CD, what can I do to have that USB flash drive be recognized?

It's a "Refurbished" Windows XP Home Service Pack 3 CD which came with the laptop from my client.

Bad HDD? It all checks out through the BIOS HDD testing though that may not be comprehensive.

Laptop: HP Compaq 6910p

It's a "Refurbished" Windows XP Home Service Pack 3 CD which came with the laptop from my client.

Bad HDD? It all checks out through the BIOS HDD testing though that may not be comprehensive.

Laptop: HP Compaq 6910p

Sound like cd issue or hdd issue.

The bios doesn't test the hdd for read and write errors, SMART only tells the bios that it's failing if its enabled and if the hdd sends the notification.

In this particular notebook (HP Compaq 6910p), it allows for HDD SMART scanning for errors which is pretty neat.

I managed to get through, by the way, and that was by disabling SATA. I am not sure why it allowed it to go through.

Now... to fight 6 viruses, rootkits, and malware.

Thanks for suggestions and I do suspect something's wrong with the HDD -- I'll do a scan when I fix the viruses.

In this particular notebook (HP Compaq 6910p), it allows for HDD SMART scanning for errors which is pretty neat.

I managed to get through, by the way, and that was by disabling SATA. I am not sure why it allowed it to go through.

Now... to fight 6 viruses, rootkits, and malware.

Thanks for suggestions and I do suspect something's wrong with the HDD -- I'll do a scan when I fix the viruses.

FRESH INSTALL of windows, and backup the user's data = Solution :)

The problem is that you are trying to plug in a storage device while you are installing Windows.

The only devices that are going to show up are the ones that are plugged in when the computer was turned on.

Removing a device and then trying to plug it back in while the istall is going on is also not going to work.

As for re-installing any version of windows to try to fix errors, is most likely going to net you a sort-of usable system. Just enough to be able to get data off. Some stuff generally just doesn't work properly after a re-install.

The best and quickest way is to backup data, wipe the drive, and start over from scratch.

Windows XP Setup does not support USB devices except for those which emulate a floppy drive or CD rom drive. The emulation is actually done by the motherboard. XP just sees the device as what the motherboard tells it that they are, ie. floppy, cd rom.

I had a similar problem. In the BIOS, you need to enable a setting called "Legacy USB" or similar. This made it work for me.

Back