How to enable Down Clocking via RivaTuner on 280 gtx?

Vlad_13

[H]ard|Gawd
How do I enable downclocking with RivaTuner or any other program. (evga 280 GTX SC) I need to do this manually because for some reason with newest drivers this feature does not work... Power saving is a concern for me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Are you running dual monitors? I know the 200 series cards wont throttle with dual monitors and its a confirmed bug by nvidia with no eta when it will be fixed.

Ive tried a few apps to down clock my 285 and it made barely any difference in power usage. When throttling is working correctly It makes a huge difference but manually dropping the clocks doesnt seem to do a whole lot.

Single card, single LCD... I just cant use my PC knowing that it throttles all the way drawing a whooping 343 Watts.

It may not be a huge difference power wise, but my board runs 11 degrees cooler C when I lower the clocks to 300/600/100.

You can't "enable" downclocking, but what you can do is make 2 profiles. I have a game profile and a 2D profile, game profile has my overclocked speeds and 2D profile is clocked at 300/600/110MHz.

To change RivaTuner to allow minimum overclocking that low, go to the Power User tab and go to RivaTuner\Overclocking\Global. Change MinClockLimit to zero. Then adjust profiles as above. You can use the launcher to easily change speeds, no big deal.

Forcing Performance 3D locks your video card into full 3D power mode 24/7. Obviously your problem is that it is already doing this :p So that won't help you.

That's what i thought... but i got confused by a person few posts after.

Grrr this drives me mad! lol and i remember people were bitching about ATI drivers? right... I'm hope it's a driver issue though :( not the hardware.

I'm curious, is your BFG downclocks? Or you just keep it at full throttle?

No my BFG does not downclock, it is currently broken (read: NVIDIA disabled it in the newer ForceWare drivers to 'fix' the issue cards downclocking and not clocking back up). I just use two overclocking profiles in RivaTuner and switch them with the launcher depending on what I am doing. Read my original post again, I explain exactly what I do :)

:eek: is that a joke by nVidia? Right... and what do people say when they are running tri SLI and quad SLI? 100$ dollar a month just for PC?

I have 4 280s and a 285. All EVGAs and all downclock when not in 3D mode.
Using the 181.22 drivers. There have been drivers released that didn't downclock, but it was universal meaning no downclocking for any 200 series.

Not sure why your cards aren't downclocking. :confused:

I have 4 280s and a 285. All EVGAs and all downclock when not in 3D mode.
Using the 181.22 drivers. There have been drivers released that didn't downclock, but it was universal meaning no downclocking for any 200 series.

Not sure why your cards aren't downclocking. :confused:
Dual monitors? Vista 64? I have no idea. When I emailed BFG they told me to use older drivers.

If you google this, it's a fairly common issue.

@ Rizen, I found this thread on evga forums (actually found it yesterday but anyway) tried the 180.48 drivers and what do ya know :p it downclocks now, like it should!

Gotcha. Thanks. I think I'll just wait until they fix it and use RivaTuner for now, personally, as the new drivers fix/add some things I want.

Hmm this may seem redundant, but wouldn't fan speeds stay at very high levels if the card wasn't downclocked during 2D?

No the auto setting on fans are set for noise levels and ramp up slowly.
Unwinder said:
Many users wrongly assume that selecting "Auto" mode in RivaTuner, ATITool, ATITrayTools, EVGA Precision or any other fan control software forces the software to perform automatic fan control.
It is not EVGA Precision's job to autoadjust fan speed when auto mode is selected. Auto fan speed adjustment is performed by dedicated hardware fan controller chip (or by display driver for cheap models like 9600GT, not equipped with dedicated fan controller chips), and it is calibrated to keep the system as quiet as possible, actual fan duty cycle insrease is supposed to take place when it is really needed (e.g. when temps are above 80). If you don't see fan speed changes, it doesn't mean that automatic mode doesn't work.
Alex Nicolaychuk aka Unwinder, RivaTuner creator

Back