How to enable AHCI to use hotswap without reinstalling OS for Windows XP

luddha

Weaksauce
Well, I wrote this guide because I couldn't find a good one on google. I don't know in what subforum I should post this in, so please move it if it doesn't fit in here.

How to enable AHCI to use hotswap on an Intel P45 motherboard with ICH10 southbridge under Windows XP 32/64 without reinstalling the operative system, but it should work on any ASUS moterboard with more then one SATA controller.

The motherboard I used when I did this was an ASUS P5Q Pro.

I don't take any responibility for any data loss or hardware failure.

1. Unplug all drives except the boot drive. Have it plugged in to your Intel controller (red ports).
2. Go into BIOS and disable Drive Xpert. You'll find it under the Tools tab.
3. Boot XP and install the marvell controller drivers. You should find them on your motherboard manufacturer homepage or on the driver CD for your motherboard.
4. Attach your boot drive to the Marvell controller (orange and white ports).
5. Boot up to check everything is OK.
6. Then go into BIOS again and enable AHCI mode for the Intel controller.
7. Boot into Windows (keep the boot drive on the Marvell controller). A window will probably pop up and say that Windows has found a new PCI Device.
8. Now go to Intels homepage and get the drivers. I found drivers for my Windows XP 32 on:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...&OSFullName=Windows* XP Professional&lang=eng
9. Now just reboot the computer to see that everything is OK.
10. Shut the computer down, plug the boot drive to the Intel controller, cross your fingers and boot. If it works, then run a chkdsk(go into cmd and run chkdsk) just to check that your disk is OK.
11. Boot it up and everything will hopefully work.
12. Now you can plug in the rest of your SATA-devices onto the Intel controller.

Thanks to Queeg in #overclockers on Quakenet

Written by Ludvig "Luddha" Sjöberg 1/25/09
http://luddha.vshs.info/

Back