How to employers verify certifications.

ph03n1x

n00b
A friend of mine is starting to look for some IT help at his office and is wondering how he would go about verifying that someone has the certifications they say they have?

Basically if John Doe says he has an A+ and N+ is there a way of verifying this?

well for N+ and A+ they send you a special card and paperwork that people should have

But nobody actually cares enough about the A+/N+ to verify. Many places like to add Microsoft certs to their partnership account though.

But nobody actually cares enough about the A+/N+ to verify. Many places like to add Microsoft certs to their partnership account though.

So lets say I don't have an A+ because I was too lazy to actually go through with the testing, but I know all the material, if I were to put A+ on a resume, what are the chances of me getting called out? lol

So lets say I don't have an A+ because I was too lazy to actually go through with the testing, but I know all the material, if I were to put A+ on a resume, what are the chances of me getting called out? lol

depends.

When I got hired on by the state they didn't require to provide proof of my education, A+, or MCP.

With Cisco certs, you can log in to the Certification Tracking System and generate an email sent from Cisco to verify your certs. Been a while since I've done it, but I believe it also provides a link to a dynamically generated page on Cisco.com which also verifies it....since emails can easily be spoofed.

I've never been asked, if I was, I wouldn't know what to say because I have no idea where the stuff they sent me is, so I would have to look into it for them I guess.

If you're on the fence about a+, just go take the test, it's easy, and if you say you know the stuff - you'll pass, just be confident and do it. I see so many people sit on the fence "making sure they're ready" and then they finally take it and regret putting it off so long.

I didn't take net+, I could pass it I'm sure, but I have no reason to get certified right now, I guess if I lost my job it would be a different story lol.

Originally Posted by aaronearles View Post

Of course if you put it on your resume and you don't actually have it.... you have committed perjury.

Then it comes down to bsing and saying something about it with the guys and one of the guys (who feel threatened by you awesomeness) tells HR about it you will be in the unemployment line.

Lets put it this way. You skimp and don't pay the 200 bucks or whatever it costs to take the tests and later on your employer finds out and uses it for grounds of termination.

I don't think CompTia certs are really verified all that often. Mine never have been but I've only worked for two IT companies. Microsoft certs are a little different, as you can attach your MCP ID to your company's Partner Number which helps the company qualify for things like Gold status. They will probably ask for this sometime during the first year that you are there, so it would look suspicious if you keep giving them excuses.

If a company really wants to verify CompTia certs the candidate with have a CompTia number and will have wallet cards showing that number for every certificate they've received. I would imagine you can contact them to verify the number.

Either way I wouldn't lie about the certs though. The CompTia ones are easy enough to get that you shouldn't have to lie, just go get it if you think it will benefit you. If you ever work for an HP Partner as a repair tech they may actually come in handy as far as service qualifications are concerned.

Of course if you put it on your resume and you don't actually have it.... you have committed perjury.
No, you haven't. You've lied to the company and they can use it as grounds for termination, but perjury is lying under oath.

Then it comes down to bsing and saying something about it with the guys and one of the guys (who feel threatened by you awesomeness) tells HR about it you will be in the unemployment line.

He's lied, but he hasn't committed perjury. Perjury is lying under oath, whether in court or in a deposition.

As far as I know, all certifications have some way of proving that a person's certified (what's the point otherwise?).

If you were granted a certification yesterday, then just say "certification pending" (or something similar) on the resume so it doesn't sound like you're lying if you can't show them proof on demand.

comptia certs can not be verified. you can try to call them but they will not. only way is to show the card.

other certs just call the company and they will tell you.

comptia certs can not be verified. you can try to call them but they will not. only way is to show the card.

other certs just call the company and they will tell you.

Last time I checked, CompTia will give you a number that you can give your (potential) employer so that they can look it up online. You don't actually need the card.

Back