How to dual-boot Microsoft Windows XP and Sun Solaris 10 on same hard drive?

beowulf7

[H]F Junkie
How to dual-boot Microsoft Windows XP and Sun Solaris 10 on same hard drive but separate partitions?

I am running MS Windows XP Pro on my PC. When I first installed the OS, I made 3 partitions:
1.) the OS plus applications
2.) data files (.mp3, .doc, .wmv, .jpg, etc.)
3.) 10 GB unallocated space for future use

I reserved that 3rd partition for an alternative OS. I finally got around to downloading and burning Sun Solaris 10 onto a DVD. I threw the DVD into the drive and restarted my computer and I went through the steps to install Solaris 10 in that 10 GB partition. (I was careful to not use the other 2 partitions). Everything looks like it went well.

I then rebooted the PC. I was expecting to see a list of options upon boot up asking me which OS I want to load. However, it went straight into Windows XP. Once I got into Windows, I confirmed that System startup (right click "My Computer", select "Advanced" tab, then select "Settings" under "Startup and Recovery" says:
"Microsoft Windows XP Professional /noexecute=optino /fastdetect

Also, the "Time to display list of operating systems:" and "Time to display recovery options when needed:" were both set to 30 seconds (which I then changed to 10 sec.).

Do I need to edit the startup options (which sounds risky) so that it forces my PC to list both OSs upon boot-up? What else would you suggest? I would like it to default to Windows if I don't choose from the list within a set time, such as 10 sec., but I'd at least like the opportunity to boot with an alternative OS - Solaris 10 in this example.

So far, I have not been able to find good documentation with respect to Windows from sun.com. I tried a brief Google search but got a ton of hits and it was just confusing me more. I can list the contents of my boot.ini file (boot loader) if you think that is what needs to be modified.

Thanks in advance.

You need a boot loader in you MBR. this will allow you to select the OS you want, and default to one or the other if no sleection is mad in "x" amount of time. I am not familiar with Solaris, so I do not know if it comes with a boot loader that you can choose to install when you install Solaris.

You can use software such as bootmagic to edit you MBR after the fact.

Solaris 10 should come with a boot loader, so I would think it wouldn't be too difficult. :confused:
Did you set the solaris partion to active?

o_O

When did they make an X86 Solaris 10? I thought it was still for their proprietary hardware. I suppose this is what I get for working in a shop that will never upgrade past Solaris 8...

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

BobSutan, to answer your question, Sun made Solaris 10 available (for free) roughly a year ago. One can download it from here. It requires (free) registration to get a valid license.

cburwell and tazman4, I don't think I noticed a boot loader option while installing Solaris 10 on my previously-unallocated partition. I will do some more Google searching on MBR (master boot record) to see if anyone else has done this. I was also conservative in installing Solaris 10 b/c I did not want to wipe out my Windows XP partition. :eek:

I know one way I can make it work is to take my super old 10 GB HDD off the shelf (I have to find it first) and load Sun Solaris 10 there. Then, when I boot up, whenever I want to play around in Sun, I can go into the BIOS and force that specific hard drive to boot first. Then if I want to go back to Windows, put my 300 GB HDD at the top of the list (but after my DVD drives). But that seems like too much work and I know there has to be a way to get a list of OSs to appear during the boot process if I manipulate the MBR just right.

Thanks again and I'll let you guys know how I make out. More advice would also be appreciated. :)

OK, it looks like I definitely have to edit my boo.ini file, which can be risky. It currently is the following:
[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Aslong as you leave the default information in there, then the risk is minimal as you cannot 'corrupt' it, if you incorrectly enter a new option it will either not appear or simply not work but the XP option will continue to work.

I've had great success with the Acronis Bootloader, it has a GUI that allows you to add operating systems to, it's functioning right now for my machine which is booting:

1. Windows XP Pro
2. Windows Vista Ultimate RC1
3. MacOSX Tiger 10.6.4
4. SUSE Linux Enterprise 10

Works like a dream with Acronis.

The Donut said:
Aslong as you leave the default information in there, then the risk is minimal as you cannot 'corrupt' it, if you incorrectly enter a new option it will either not appear or simply not work but the XP option will continue to work.

I've had great success with the Acronis Bootloader, it has a GUI that allows you to add operating systems to, it's functioning right now for my machine which is booting:

1. Windows XP Pro
2. Windows Vista Ultimate RC1
3. MacOSX Tiger 10.6.4
4. SUSE Linux Enterprise 10

Works like a dream with Acronis.
Thanks, that seems pretty cool you have so many OS options. And it's good that if I don't touch the Windows part of it, then I shouldn't screw up the MBR too much. I do have an Acronis product - TrueImage - that I use occasionally to clone my hard drive. So I am a little familiar witht hat company. I will look into their Bootloader program.

In doing some more searching on Sun's Web site, I also came across this paper (PDF): Configuring Multiboot Environments on Sun x64 Systems with AMD Opteron Processors.

Now I only have a regular Venice 3200+ processor (not Opteron), but I don't see why the type of processor matters. I will read that somewhat lengthy paper as well.

You might want to look into grub for a bootloader, also. It provides a boot screen that is more pleasing to the eyes. Aesthetics are important, too!

Zwitterion said:
You might want to look into grub for a bootloader, also. It provides a boot screen that is more pleasing to the eyes. Aesthetics are important, too!
Thanks. That PDF I linked above actually mentioned GRUB and mentioned their Web site. I'm currently looking into the GRUB info. shown here.

Back