How to disable bluetooth headphone controls on a Mac?

gsilver

Gawd
I bought some wireless noise cancelling headphones (Sony MDR-1000) and I'm finding that its gesture-based controls are far too easily activated when taking on/off or adjusting the headphones.
I listen to a lot of podcasts, and these are causing me to frequently lose my position (not fun to find again in a multiple-hour-long podcast)

Is there any way to disable these controls on my macbook?

There is zero information on Sony's own website.
Additionally, there is no software support.

Based on appearance this is a hardware issue, directly relating to the headphones themselves and not really your Macbook. If Sony released its own proprietary software in order to control them, they (apparently) aren't available on their site.
https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/mode...te_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/downloadTab

I spent time even trying to look up troubleshooting for you. Sony provides no alternatives

EDIT: the only thing I can think to ask is if there is a lock switch. You can also turn on the settings within iTunes to have podcasts remember their place rather than starting from the beginning which should at least help somewhat.

Last edited:
It seems to pass in keypresses corresponding to previous track / next track / pause / volume up/down based on the gestures. I am not using any software.

Itunes (in theory) remembers the podcast position, but that gets cleared within a few seconds of playback if a reset occurs. If I'm quick about it, I can alt-tab into itunes and double-click the episode to get back to where I was.
No lock switch on the headphones.

Depending how technical you want to get, mac-bt-headset-fix is an application that listens for headset keypress events and re-triggers them as media key presses. Maybe try remapping the events to other keys so input from the headset won't activate?

Relevant thread regarding Bluetooth headsets behavior with OS X/Spotify.

Back