How to diagnose router WiFi disconnection problems?

Eagle156

2[H]4U
My router keeps disconnecting on me. It's a Linksys E1200 and will at least once a day show me "no internet connection" on the windows WiFi network icon (although I am still connected to the network) and won't connect to the router via 192.168.1.1 (it becomes both unpingable and untraceable). Pretty sure it's the router because restarting the modem does nothing. Now my question is how do I diagnose this problem? I've actually called Comcast for a semi-related problem regarding slow speeds on some of my devices and they had me switch WiFi channels, but otherwise the router still keeps dropping connection. The logs are useless and most of the WiFi settings don't seem relevant. Is there a way to diagnose this problem or is this just typical of cheap crappy routers?

I had one of those E1200s, that I had to return, because of all kinds of weird issues (1000ms+ pings to local servers?, etc). If signal strength is good until the radio drops out, it's most likely defective.

You can scan all the wifi channels with an android app called Wifi Analyzer. It will show all the signals in your area, their strength and channel, as well as how much power they bleed into the adjacent channels. Use the Channel Graph mode. It can toggle between 2.4ghz and 5ghz also.

In some areas, the wifi spectrum just gets too congested, and there's nothing you can do except run an ethernet line and stop using wifi. but before giving up, try changing the channel, or switching to the 5ghz channels which can sometimes be less crowded, if your device supports that.

You can get inSSIDer 3.1.2.1 for free for Windows, Mac OS X, and Android. That's the last free version; later versions added more features and cost $20 but 3.1.2.1 works just fine.
lmao at this tool. I am on channel 11. It says "Your link score would improve by moving to Channel 6." I move to channel 6. Reboot inssider. It says "Your link score would improve by moving to Channel 11." Lmao.

Back