How to delete refresh rate or resolution from Windows/CCC?

Enhanced Interrogator

[H]ard|Gawd
So I have my PC hooked up to a 1080i TV, but for some reason Need For Speed Rivals keeps trying to launch at 25hz (lowest available) instead of 30hz. 25hz simply doesn't work with my TV.

Anyway to delete this value, like in the registry or something?

CRU

Y1LmyU8.png

I'm pretty sure this is an EDID issue where the manufacturer puts this down as the "default" resolution so when it first connects it will normally default to these settings.

I ended up working around the issue by deleting the "detailed resolution" for 1080i in CRU and adding it as a TV resolution in the extension block. This eliminated 25hz, but 29hz is still there. Thankfully, 29hz seems identical to 30hz, as my screen doesn't even flash when I switch between them. So even though NFS is probably selecting the 29hz resolution, I can't tell a difference.

I'm pretty sure this is an EDID issue where the manufacturer puts this down as the "default" resolution so when it first connects it will normally default to these settings.

1080i 30hz was the only resolution listed in the EDID that I could see with CRU. I think the 25hz thing is something that Windows or AMD add for PAL compatibility, even though it's not in the EDID. NFS Rivals just seems to pick the lowest refresh rate, this isn't an issue with any other games so far.

Did you install drivers for the TV?

When plugged in via HDMI, Catalyst automatically detected the TV. So probably isn't necessary, and would give the same result.

I wonder if that 29 Hz is really 29.97 Hz, and that 30 Hz is really 29.97 Hz, which is why they're the same but the game only works with one of them.

I wonder if that 29 Hz is really 29.97 Hz, and that 30 Hz is really 29.97 Hz, which is why they're the same but the game only works with one of them.

That's my guess. Seems like a weird thing Windows and/or Catalyst does sometimes.

For example, I created a custom 853x480 resolution (16:9 480p), and for some reason 848x480 showed up in my list of resolutions, alongside the 853x480.

Last edited:
Back