How to defeat Asus B560-G PCIe latch lock?

coynatha

Limp Gawd
Ok guys, how to I get this thing to let go of the video card? My thumb is raw already, it won't give it up!

IMG_20210510_204646752.jpg

Is that a slide latch or pivot? Looks like it's down already...have you tried pressing down on the metal bracket and lifting the tail end of the card (gently)?

If it's not down already, grab a pencil, bic pen, or some other small flat-ended object that won't seriously damage your parts, and gently press on the latch and the top of the card at the same time.

I use a wooden chopstick. End is pretty blunt and the wood is soft enough not to cause damage even if you slip.

Edit: Also don't forget you can remove the CPU cooler to give you more room if you really need to. Sure it takes extra time to clean and re-apply paste etc. but sounds like you are already spending a lot of time.

Is that a slide latch or pivot? Looks like it's down already...have you tried pressing down on the metal bracket and lifting the tail end of the card (gently)?

If it's not down already, grab a pencil, bic pen, or some other small flat-ended object that won't seriously damage your parts, and gently press on the latch and the top of the card at the same time.
Yeah it's probably down in the image, I've been gently pulling on the card, and I can feel it pull back, not letting the card go. Push the card back in, and it kinda clicks back into place as you'd expect.

I use a wooden chopstick. End is pretty blunt and the wood is soft enough not to cause damage even if you slip.

Edit: Also don't forget you can remove the CPU cooler to give you more room if you really need to. Sure it takes extra time to clean and re-apply paste etc. but sounds like you are already spending a lot of time.
Chopstick FTW! I knew you guys would come thru, thank you! That took WAY too much pressure to get off though, WTF is Asus thinking?!

Also, for anyone who finds this, beware the extra bracket that fixes the tail end of the video card to the case in these Asus pre-builds. I have horrible lighting in this room in working in and didn't notice it at first. And then the locking mechanism is what holds me up. See attached.

Also, that locking clip feels loose to me, it's got a lot of play in it.

^ oops, meant for this to post last night, never went thru!

Attachments

• IMG_20210510_211622296.jpg
    IMG_20210510_211622296.jpg
    558.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210510_211639631.jpg
    IMG_20210510_211639631.jpg
    572 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210510_211645981.jpg
    IMG_20210510_211645981.jpg
    543.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210510_211726599.jpg
    IMG_20210510_211726599.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 0
Chopstick FTW! I knew you guys would come thru, thank you! That took WAY too much pressure to get off though, WTF is Asus thinking?!

Pretty sure the issue is more likely your case then it is the motherboard. While cases are built to certain specifications sometimes things can get warped or be slightly out of tolerance. If the card needs to be pressed forward to screw in for example it can have an effect of causing the back end of the card to want to lift and then it applies additional pressure to the PCIX latch which then makes it harder to depress. I would bet that were the board and card not in this case that the latch would depress with ease.

Last edited:
Pretty sure the issue is more likely your case then it is the motherboard. While cases are built to certain specifications sometimes things can get warped or be slightly out of tolerance. If the card needs to be pressed forward to screw in for example it can have an effect of causing the back end of the card to want to lift and then it applies additional pressure to the PCIX latch which then makes it harder to depress. I would bet that were the board and card not in this case that the latch would depress with ease.
Been there done that with my fare of cheap paper thin metal cases!

Nearly the same issue in my Fractal Design Define R6... I've always thought it to be fairly good quality. Asus B450-F in that...

Common denominator is Asus over engineered retaining clip IMO.

It might help to loosen all of the MB screws and install the video card, then tighten the corner screws down. Remove video card and finish tightening the rest of the screws. The MB can move slightly and offer better PCIe slot alignment in some cases (pun intended).

Congrats on the TUF 3080!

Also, those Rocket Lakes are no slouch, despite drawing a lot of power!

The latches on the recent ASUS boards are quite bad.

On an X570 Strix E, it looks similar to the pictures you linked and I had a veeeeery difficult time removing my GPU as well.

Was not like that on my Asus Z87, B450 and X470 boards.

personally i had to use a butter knife it works great but you need steady hands and no small amount of control on force. first board is a reminder to be carefully or you can puncture it lol

Back