How to deal with Low Ballers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmanon

Limp Gawd
I have two questions. I'm a new seller. I will post my wares here, once I get a few more posts. In the interim, I posted them on Craigslist. This isn't a sales pitch. I have 2 BNIB GTX 680s with new back plates for $325 each. I'm not here to get rich. The person in question offered me $400 for both cards. My first instinct is to tell him that I hope his kids die in a car fire.

1) How does one handle these guys? Also, I want to make sure my cards aren't priced to high? I don't want to tell him to fuck off, if he made a reasonable offer.

Last edited:
Well $200 a piece is a little low. As used 670s are around $180 or so used. Just be polite and tell him that is too low for you. If you act like a dick, expect to be treated like that in return. You can choose not to answer the guy and just ignore them. As that is how most deal with it. And from you not answering he will move on or offer a higher price if he is interested.

But telling people you hope their kids die in a car fire is honestly pretty lame. Acting childish really comes to my mind though. Just be polite to them and answer in a clam way. Not sure about you but if someone said that about my kids. I would be ready to come see the person and talk to them. Most people these days are crazy and you can piss off the wrong person. I always look at it like this. Being nice will never cost you a thing. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

Usually when I get lowballed that hard, I just usually reply "I'll pass" with nothing else in the message or I don't even reply. I can't stand people who try to drop the price by $400 when you're selling something for 550 lol.

Buyers market. I lowball the hell out of people on CL locally. For every 10 I low ball, usually 1 will bite as they NEED the cash.

Honestly, $325 is high for those cards, especially locally where you have no shipping costs or paypal fees. I wouldnt give you $325, not even on the forums.

My next question is why arent you selling on [H]? They would most likely go faster, and you are more likely to get a legitimate buyer rather than a bunch of people who are broke ass.

When I get lowballed I usually offer the price I was asking back. I do it on Ebay all the time. I've gotten lowballed $5 for an item valued at $100 I'm selling for $75. I just return the offer at full asking price. On craigslist, I wouldnt even respond.

I've been lowballed a few times with my 7970s for sale. I just reply that the offer isn't in the ballpark and thank them for their interest.

Low balling happens, it is just the nature of the beast in the "used" market game. Using fleebay as a reference for point-of-sale is a good start...but remember they take you for 10% of your total gains off the top.

Say you sold 1 card for 325$ on ebay. That's 32.50$ they are gonna take...before shipping and handling and paypal fees (presuming you used paypal).

So then it's not unreasonable that some in the [H] community take that into account and thus offer you something else.

Ignore them and move on. Or reply that your price is firm and see if they come back with a better offer. Depends on how much effort you want to put into it.

OK, I wasn't really going to wish death on the person's kids. I said it was my first thought. He'd already made a low ball offer on another item. I told the person I was asking $325 because they're BNIB still wrapped in cellophane with a new back plate included. I checked the prices on 10%-extortion-Bay and felt $325 was reasonable.
The reason I haven't posted on this forum is because I haven't reached the 100 post requirement.

When I get lowballed I usually offer the price I was asking back. I do it on Ebay all the time. I've gotten lowballed $5 for an item valued at $100 I'm selling for $75. I just return the offer at full asking price. On craigslist, I wouldnt even respond.

No offense but that is quite normal for someone who is selling something below $100 here. It's nothing more than haggling to try to get the best deal. I do it all the time. I'd consider it foolish to not at least try. I've gotten many items that way just asking $5-10 off posted price from motivated sellers.

I haggle with sellers as well. However, if I make a Reasonble lower offer, I qualify it by saying, "I mean no disrespect, I'm just asking." I don't want to insult anyone. I've noticed some buyers think sellers are running a charity:confused:

Make sure you build a good reputation here in the forums. Most guys here are reasonable, and will usually work a deal. Besides, you can just ignore them and move on. I just bought an iPad here on the forums and I coudln't have been treated better. Just be polite and don't overreact. There will always be lowballers as there will also be people who think their stuff is worth more than it really is.

I've also sold here and the interest is pretty genuine from the community. Keep the love going!

OP, It seems your a knowledgeable seller. You have obviously done your market research with current price trends on the market. After that its up to you. Personally I have seen low ballers come from all sorts of places, some of even told me that they found a better price elsewhere, and told me that I will never sell my stuff cause its too high, and that they came for a better deal (FYI I sold the item at that exact same price). Its all fair in the negotiation game i guess.

My advice, avoid the conflict that arises with low-ballers. I politely decline, no reasoning no energy wasted.

GLWS

If someone sent me a low offer i'd just send them a pm telling them to make a better offer or just counter with a price close to my start point. If they persist in going too low after that you ignore them.

Ignore or add to DNT list.

I usually reply to reasonable offers and tell em to check back for price drops or I will contact him if I ever change my mind.

I add extreme cheap bastards to my DNT list. If it's one thing I've noticed, cheap folks tend to be picky. I wouldn't want to deal with neither, IMO.

The last you could do is quote something on your FS/FT thread. If one were to still low ball you and you have this on your thread, they simply didn't take the time to read your thread. Rude and disrespectful in my book.

Example.
  • Prices are firm - All offers will be ignored!
  • Check back for price drops.
  • Currently not looking for trades.
  • Sales are AS-IS.

I have two questions. I'm a new seller. I will post my wares here, once I get a few more posts. In the interim, I posted them on Craigslist. This isn't a sales pitch. I have 2 BNIB GTX 680s with new back plates for $325 each. I'm not here to get rich. The person in question offered me $400 for both cards. My first instinct is to tell him that I hope his kids die in a car fire.

1) How does one handle these guys? Also, I want to make sure my cards aren't priced to high? I don't want to tell him to fuck off, if he made a reasonable offer.

Why do you feel slighted by lowballing? It's a free market. If that deal is unacceptable, find a different buyer.

No offense but that is quite normal for someone who is selling something below $100 here. It's nothing more than haggling to try to get the best deal. I do it all the time. I'd consider it foolish to not at least try. I've gotten many items that way just asking $5-10 off posted price from motivated sellers.

I think you misunderstood. They are not offering me $5 off, they are offering me $5 total for the item. $5 off I would heavily consider and most likely take.

$5 off your $75 price isn't low balling, that's haggling.
If you meant you were offered $5 for the item, then yes, that is extreme low balling.

When I get low balled, I Sometimes reply back with a price higher than my listed price.

Honestly, you need to get used to it and if it bothers you this much, you might want to considering not selling anything at all on any forums. I sell and buy all the time on the forums. Any offer I get is an offer and if it's too low for me to sell, then I politely say no thanks. Your assumed fair price is based on your opinion and most probably not reflective of the true market value since you are trying to maximize your price. A buyer is trying to minimize his price. A fair price is something in the middle.

If you get no other offers, then guess what, $400 is the fair market value.

lets see how long before this thread is closed. is this one of those things that should go in regular forum.

people that low ball you hmmm you could ignore........or tell them no thanks.

[H]ard|Forum has this ingenious little button below the message that reads delete. I know... who would have thought.

Do I have the ability to close my own thread? It appears the gawds have spoken. I only wish the gods, excuse me gawds, had pointed out my transgression sooner:p

Thread tools, upper right hand corner. Should be a close thread button.

heh. Craigslist people are cheap. I usually get lowballed on CL, I just ignore them.

oh, and:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1423782

What Should Not Be Posted Here

Transactions that happened outside of the Hardforum FS/FT community are off-topic, and threads started about them will be locked or deleted. Threads regarding eBay transactions that originated in the [H]ardForum eBay auction forum are permitted, non-forum related problems originating from the eBay website are not. Those posts are considered off-topic and will be closed or deleted.

I have two questions. I'm a new seller. I will post my wares here, once I get a few more posts.

It would appear that posting threads like these will get you to your minimum post requirement soon. You scored 13 posts in these 2 threads alone. ;)

I've learned plenty of stuff, thanks. Would someone tell me who to notify to close this thread?

U usually can close a thread I assume from the thread tools dropdown menu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back