How to deal with gravity / excesive drooping?

What are you supposed to do when a piece of equipment (switch/router/computer/etc) in a rack is drooping or twisting under its own weight because it is only secured from the front?

Is it only a 2 post rack?

Is there no way to secure it with rails between the front posts and rear posts if it is a 4 post rack?

Failing that you could get an anti-gravity module fitted underneath the raised floor of your equipment room!:D

Check the case to see if it's possible to relocate the ears to a position closer to the unit's center of gravity.

Place a shelf directly underneath the unit.

I've made custom support brackets before, but I also have access to a metalworking shop.

Alternatively, you could always use the Bro for your lack of support....;)

Is it bad that I thought "Go put on a bra" when I read the title? :D

1) If it's in a 4 post rack, try to get 4 post rails
2) Can you remount the ears closer to centerline?
3) Rack shelf
4) good luck!

EDIT: Arrgh! Monkey beat me to the joke!

I've made custom support brackets before, but I also have access to a metalworking shop.
Thanks a lot for your answers...a custom bracket type thingy is what I was looking for. Don't want to pay $100 for rails when a 50c piece of metal would suffice:
http://www.amazon.com/ist-Mens-Metal-Jock-Strap/dp/B002GYW5VA/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

I guess I will have to try to make the bracket (brake?) or just buy a shelf/rails.

2) Can you remount the ears closer to centerline?
Good point...this particular switch doesn't seem to have that available, though I guess I could try drilling holes in the sides.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks a lot for your answers...a custom bracket type thingy is what I was looking for. Don't want to pay $100 for rails when a 50c piece of metal would suffice:
http://www.amazon.com/ist-Mens-Metal-Jock-Strap/dp/B002GYW5VA/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

I guess I will have to try to make the bracket (brake?) or just buy a shelf/rails.

Good point...this particular switch doesn't seem to have that available, though I guess I could try drilling holes in the sides.

Lucky for you, it's not hard to remove items from Amazon's history for recomended items.;)

I tried the "hole in the side" once (on an A/C unit). Once.
Was real careful to miss the coolant lines.............just hit the fan instead. You'd be surprised how many pieces plastic fan blades shatter into. :p

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back