How to create a RAM DRIVE with DDR4?

MikeSp

Weaksauce
IF I had 32 Gigs of G.Skill DDR4 2800 and wanted to set aside some of that RAM as a RAM DRIVE since it would be so much faster than an SATA III SSD and am hoping that a ram drive would make a great scratch disk for Photoshop and other possible applications.

Long ago, Ram Drives were popular (rather, long, long, long ago) -- but am wondering if it is possible to take some spare DDR4 RAM and create a ram drive to use as a very fast scratch disk for Photoshop?

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks

It would be faster to use it as RAM for Photoshop. The scratch disk is only used if you overflow RAM. The reason RAM disks are not popular anymore is that there are very few useful applications.

RAM drive can still be useful for video editing. Tekzilla did their ultimate video editing machine build and noted that their rendering times were 20% when using a ram drive vs SSD.

RAM drive can still be useful for video editing. Tekzilla did their ultimate video editing machine build and noted that their rendering times were 20% when using a ram drive vs SSD.
Heh, I can definitely believe this. >.<

As mentioned, there are few applications where lots of RAM and/or RAM disk would be useful. If there's something that you do for your work that actually uses 32GB, 64GB, or more gigs'o'RAM then more power to you bro!

In Photography, the biggest benefit I found with having 32GB of RAM was most especially when it came to computing initial and rendering huge final panoramas with Kolo Autopano Giga (great quality software BTW). I had even upgraded to 64GB since I occasionally ran out of memory. :D

Curious to how that holds up against Linus's recent video comparing 128GB DDR4 ECC memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajyzZ-zaq0o

Apparently you can already kind of do this within many Adobe products by allocating more RAM from the default to improve performance. Seems things really start to tap out after 32GB dedicated though.

LOL oops I missed typed. I meant 20% faster not 20% of what it would be using an SSD. That would be insane though.

Back